I Forge Iron

Mig contact tips as gas jets in propane burners

Glenn

Posted by G-son 

image.png.7ffb6aedf5429fdef279229afe52e3ce.png

I took the liberty of making a list of Mikeys suggested MIG tip vs. pipe sizes, and added the actual pipe diameters (instead of the schedule 40 pipe sizes that aren't the real size) and the tip size in percent of the mix tube diameter. I thought it could be useful for people who build burners using other kinds of pipe or tubing, and the gas jet vs. mix tube size may be useful for people building other size burners  than the listed ones - something in the ~4.0-4.6% range seems to be right for most of the listed sizes, possibly more on smaller burners and less on larger ones. 

I just gathered the numbers in one place, everyone gets to draw their own conclusions and use it as they see fit. The information was already out there, I just try to make it a bit easier to compare and use.

Original post

-----------------------

I just thought of using 3D printer nozzles as gas jets for small burners. I've just made a little research, but they seem to be available down to 0.2mm diameter. Not sure about the internal shape or length of the narrow passage, probably varies between different manufacturers. Do they seem suitable? Availability seems good, price okay (but not great, like the mig tips).

5Pcs-MK8-Steel-Nozzle-0-3-0-4-0-5-0-6-0-8mm-M6-Thread-For-1-75mm-3mm-3D-Printer

The extruder tips are pretty much hollow, and only have a lead-in that's not much longer than the diameter of the orifice.

That being said, I have an assortment that I'd like to try using anyways.

Thanks for putting that together!

Edit didn't take, I'd also suggest looking at glue dispensing tips.  I snagged some on ebay, but haven't gotten to look at their internal construction yet.  They also come in a variety of small orifice diameters.

14 hours ago, HojPoj said:

The extruder tips are pretty much hollow, and only have a lead-in that's not much longer than the diameter of the orifice.

That being said, I have an assortment that I'd like to try using anyways.

Thanks for putting that together!

Edit didn't take, I'd also suggest looking at glue dispensing tips.  I snagged some on ebay, but haven't gotten to look at their internal construction yet.  They also come in a variety of small orifice diameters.

Okay, so the nozzles not ideal. If you do try them, please let us know how it works, while they probably aren't perfect they may be good enough for some of the times we don't need perfect.

I have been looking a bit at glue dispensing tips, but I'm not happy with them being partly plastic with just a stainless tube. Might work, but I'm not sure I'd want plastic pieces in a burner. Cannibalizing the metal is an option, and removing the plastic.

I put the data together mostly to get a better view over it all for myself, but I thought there may be more people here that find it useful. Also, if I put it here I know where to look for it next time I need it... :P

10 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

Sensible of you, since that is exactly what many will do, whatever you say :)

Never miss an opportunity to tell people to think for themselves, too many of them don't. ;) 

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

Posted by G-son 

Nice to see you thought this deserved a thread of its own, not just a spot in burners 101. But perhaps a topic that describe the content a little better might be suitable? Something like "Gas jet size vs mix tube diameter, actual diameters" - something along those lines, not sure how long the topic can be here.
The headline on the picture was mostly for the times the picture ends up somewhere else, without the rest of text, as a discussion topic leading to the picture something a bit more descriptive might help people know what it's about.

Interesting. I'm thinking that the internal thread means you need to keep that mostly as is, you can't grind it down to reduce how much it affects the air flow past it. The type in the first picture would probably be fine no narrow down quite a bit. Not sure how much that would matter?