I Forge Iron

Best Advertising

By far word of mouth and chance of discussion have been my best advertisers in the past. However, I am wondering what others have been doing that adds to the best method (word of mouth and chance of discussion).

As I am really trying to get back to the forge on a regular basis I am considering what steps I can do to boost paying customers since many of my former customers have found new smiths... I am not really interested in trying to regain those who are happy with who ever they are buying from now. I think it best to build a new clientele...

Somehow I don't think a TV commercial and full blown newspaper and billboard advertising campaign is in the budget... nor my style... so what has made sense for you in getting the word out?

James

When my son started his lawncare service, he made some small signs with scrap plywood and stencils. He put them on telephone poles and such within a 25 mile radius of our home. Just 15 or 20, if I recall.

People started calling, saying....."I saw your sign"..................

Also, around here we have 'flyers' or 'circulars'.........little trade publications you can put classified ads in for free.........those work too.

A lot of times, it's just a matter of 'getting your name out there where folks can see it'.

James Flannery

Lot's and lot's of business cards. I used to sell a good bit on e-bay but due to rotator cuff surgery in Dec. it has cause to barely be ready with inventory for current events. I made sure to send business cards with every purchase. If it was to a re-enactor, I added extra cards so they could pass it on.

When I go to events, I always make sure cards are out and now with the web page have gotten work. Check local fundraisers that are being done by non-profit groups who are looking to have businesses place adds in program flyers. They are usually fairly cheap. For a 10 dollar add you could reap alot od business.

My website is the best thing I ever did. I now have more business than I can handle and almost 100% of it started with the website. Nothing else has worked quite as well. Of course, it has to have some things on it so I salted mine with three or four things I made for family and friends before I was able to start posting "real" work. I later took that stuff off but hey, you have to start somewhere...

Always make sure you put pictures of your actual work on the website that you are going to sell and make sure let them know you can do custom work if you want to do custom work.

Also an idea from a buddy and fellow smith from Mississippi Vance Moore, use your business cards as your price tags. That way they get the price of the item as well as your card.

Craigs list is a good place to advertise and it's free, alot of smaller stores will have boars up where you can put a business card or flyer, and if you have the money, which shouldn't be too much, you can make up a flyer and have them mailed out and even put some sort of insentive on there like a dicount or something if they mention the flyer.

welder19