I Forge Iron

Used Miller Stick welder.

Lsat

Lsat,

what model is the machine, Thunderbolt, Econo, etc. and how old is it? It will make a difference in the quality and price. From the information you have provided I would not buy it because I could add a little more money and buy a new machine with a warranty. Several of them come as a kit with welding hood.

I saw in one of your other posts that you joined LAMA, are you coming the meeting this Saturday? If so, look me up and we can discuss welding and the different types of equipment.

Les

Daswulf asked the same questions I was going to. I also agree with him, for the money I would save up a little more and get a wire feed welder. My first welder was a 225amp AC stick that I think I paid $300 for new. About 5 or so years ago I bought a Hobart 140 MIG for around $400 new.I ran it with flux core wire for a year or so before I got a tank and went MIG. I still use them both, but the MIG gets used 85-90% of the time. I use the stick if I'm welding rusty stuff, 3/8" or thicker material, or 1/4"+ material in a critical location. I learned on a stick welder, but I think it's easier to learn with a MIG. Rod selection (both type and size) are pretty important with a stick, it's easier to dial in wire speed and heat for a beginner.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:29 AM, Les L said:

I saw in one of your other posts that you joined LAMA, are you coming the meeting this Saturday? If so, look me up and we can discuss welding and the different types of equipment.

Les

Acctaully I will be, I'll see you then.

Looking forward to meeting you. BTW, the street name for the meeting is misspelled, it is Dickenson not dickerson, I just joined last month, this will be my second meeting with them. Drive safe, it's supposed to be raining.