I Forge Iron

156kg Söderfors or?

this looks like a Söderfors to me, but I don't know if I should take more paint off to see what's underneath, since I haven't found the name.  I see an "L" then the weight 156ky then 1914 then an "O" or something underneath the date.  Many Söderfors out there have this same pattern but have the name above the weight.  Any help would be awesome.  And should I keep it? or keep the 152kg Holthaus?? Holthaus is double horned.

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

I agree with the dogs, keep them both. Moving heavy or awkward objects is what teenagers are for, I trade them a lesson or two for their labor. 

I'm a huge fan of Swedish cast steel anvils, Soderfors being my favorite. I'd be delighted to have to round up 4-5 teenagers to get that out of my pickup truck. Well actually help clear enough floor space to roll my engine hoist around.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahahaha.  I do have a surplus and I’m trying to make sure this is a Söderfors, before I decide what to do with it!   I’ve read lots of your input on the Swedish steel and I’m torn between wondering whether or not I’d regret letting it go. 

Trust your dogs. Have you given it the Soderfors hardness test? A new sharp single cut chisel almost cuts as it skates on the face of mine. Mostly it only removes the patina that's developed over time. N, I'm ashamed to admit I don't use her enough to keep her face shining. 

She's more than r60 but I'm not testing just to know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice anvil! The edges look nice, and I dont see any saddle. The sideshelf , with the rounded corners , matches a french anvil in the Koch collection*. Maybe you can find a  "sweden" stamped somewhere. Hmm..the roundness of the outside of the feet doesn't match a typical soderfors. Agreed that the hardness should determine what to do with it, not just the maker. What does the ball bearing test show?

It may be a French cast steel anvil.

I have an Hulot Harmel that looks the same (minus the sidewing) as the one in the link you sent.  And I actually got this curious other one with the similar placement of the sidewing, from Emerald.  The rounded sidewing, though, on mine has a distinct bevel on it and any unlike the french one in Emerald's collection, mine is not "rhino" style, but rather flat.  I'm going to compare it a little closer, though. I personally don't care about the maker's name on the anvil, but some people have offered me more cash for it, if it is proved to be a Söderfors.  And I would be tempted to part with it.

So, to revise:

It may be a French cast steel anvil from a little known manufacturer. Or maybe Soderfors trying to sell an anvil into the french market, laughing and saying "we we" as they grind off the edges of the feet and shelf to make it more French looking. :)

On 4/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, Frosty said:

I agree with the dogs, keep them both. Moving heavy or awkward objects is what teenagers are for, I trade them a lesson or two for their labor. 

I'm a huge fan of Swedish cast steel anvils, Soderfors being my favorite. I'd be delighted to have to round up 4-5 teenagers to get that out of my pickup truck. Well actually help clear enough floor space to roll my engine hoist around.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's been a super tough decision, but I have never seen or used an anvil with rebound like the John Brooks 4 1/2 CWT that came with this collection I bought. And I love the look and feel of the 334lb  double horned Holthaus (1887).  So, I will part with this anvil we've discussed.  

It has the date 1887, the kg weight at 153, and three or four “triple square”stamps. Look to the left of the date. I’m actually not sure what that symbol is called. But it’s there and I was told it is the Holthaus symbol. Absolutely one of my favorites. 

92FE6735-E618-44E4-82DB-77E8DA51BBA7.jpeg

Good luck with the sale!

"156kg" 

Does the stamped weight match the actual weight? This would indicate "modifications" that may be making your anvil harder to identify. If you found another 156kg soderfors (in a collection?), you could match dimensions , to help determine if it was cast from the same mold (factory). I know where "a few" are, but am not going there for a while.

Soderfors is a foundry, casting anvils was a sideline, they cast anvils for many markets and distributors. Finding one with weight stamped in  KG and another brand name wasn't unusual. I believe they usually put their name or mark on what they cast though. It's been a lot of years since I read the Soderfors story and my memory is suspect so don't take bets. 

Frosty The Lucky.

39 minutes ago, Cedar Crest Forge said:

Good luck with the sale!

"156kg" 

Does the stamped weight match the actual weight? This would indicate "modifications" that may be making your anvil harder to identify. If you found another 156kg soderfors (in a collection?), you could match dimensions , to help determine if it was cast from the same mold (factory). I know where "a few" are, but am not going there for a while.

I doubt the weight and the stamped weight would match.  Out of the 40 in the collection, those that I could test for weight did not match the stamps.  I believe there's a cushion of plus or minus 10% with a lot of the makers.  I'm not desperate to find the Söderfors name on it. I just thought somebody out there might have come across this one before.  I'm more of the mindset that if the metal shapes how I want it to, I'm happy.   I appreciate the help, though and look forward to more interaction here.

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Soderfors is a foundry, casting anvils was a sideline, they cast anvils for many markets and distributors. Finding one with weight stamped in  KG and another brand name wasn't unusual. I believe they usually put their name or mark on what they cast though. It's been a lot of years since I read the Soderfors story and my memory is suspect so don't take bets. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ya, I may have had a Söderfors in the past, as well.  We had an anvil that just said "made in Sweden" with a stamp of a  star.  I never did know what that one was.