I Forge Iron

Homemade Bottom Blast Charcoal(?) Forge

JayNev

Hi All,

I've just started experimenting with blacksmithing having been watching lots of videos about it over the last year. I've cobbled together a bottom blast forge with the intention of using charcoal simply because of its wide availability. The blower is a butchered hair dryer; the heating element was in series so couldn't be removed and it burnt out after one afternoon of use. The 24V fan motor inside is being driven now by a 12V transformer.

The problem which I am finding is that I can get to a bright orange but no hotter. This seems like it's not quite hot enough to make the metal move easily for more than 10 seconds and it certainly won't be hot enough to do any forge welding. The blower does seem to be providing plenty of air to my untrained eye.

My potential hypotheses:

1. The blower is not strong enough and it's proving enough air, or air of the wrong speed or pressure(?)
  2. The fire is too spread out with the open bowl so that the heat is escaping
  3. Bottom blast is not the right configuration for charcoal

My potential solutions:

1. A new blower. I wouldn't know with what I should replace it; any suggestions?
  2. Add a fire pot to focus the air and heat. What would be best: Clay? thick steel welded into the bowl?
  3. Change to using coke instead of charcoal
  4. Start over and make a side blast or gas forge

If there's something totally obvious, that'd be great, but I get the impression that asking 10 smiths will gain 10 different answers to any question. I've added photos of the forge and the "striking anvil" that I'm using.

IMG_20190316_123235537_HDR.thumb.jpg.f4e76b96df4b531504d8a36b1d562270.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.27506cf3721cf3d1eab82a54fbd609ac.jpg

IMG_20190317_134636514.thumb.jpg.a13831b5ab0b0562b109373a8381ee7d.jpg

Cheers

Jay

Welcome to IFI Jay, I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Bottom blast leads itself better for coal/coke but can be made to work with charcoal. You definitely need to construct a fire pot so the fire is deeper and not so spread out. The forge pan you have would be good for a side blast which works better with charcoal. Might take a look at the JABOD threads for ideas. You are probably getting too much air with the hair drier and no way to regulate the air.

Welcome aboard Jay, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

That's a poor configuration for any solid fuel forge.

You NEED to contain the fire or it'll spread to the extent of the fuel. The whole half tank you're using IS a fire pot! :o

Look into the JABOD, its a side blast and is intended to burn charcoal. Sure Charles Stevens brought the JABOD itself to life for our forging pleasure but the general configuration is ancient, human being have been refining it for millennia, since copper and through the bronze age to today. 

Old blow driers are easy to find at yard, garage, etc. sales for under $5, I often get them free IF I want the rest of what I'm buying.  I have a very limited list of things to get at yard, garage, etc. sales. My buy list includes blacksmith tools and equipment for really cheap but I list what and where of what I find to the club's FB page. I'm always on the lookout for smooth faced hammers, especially with broken handles, Ball pein hammers forge into any top tool you need. Cross peins are common and good smithing hammers. I pick up any of them but only use 3 lb. and lighter. Straight peins I buy, I'm a huge fan of straight peins but they fit my preferred style at the anvil. For air supply I grab blower mattress inflators, most are 12V DC but some are 120V AC. and they usually go for a couple bucks to zero on a bundle. Heck you can buy them new at WallMart for about $15. They will produce WAY too MUCH air. We discuss how to waste excess air so you can control the fire often here. 

Vise grips for cheap are mine. :) I also take those EL Cheapo bargain store punch/chisel/ allan wrench sets. They're not much as is but are decent stock for YOUR punches, chisels and whatever you might need good tough medium high carbon steel for. Same for: pry, pinch, spud, etc. bars. The old beat to pieces, broken ones often go for just get it out of here" prices and they're excellent medium high carbon steel. Thin hatchets, top tools, San mai choppers, cleavers, etc. Hmmmm?

Sorry for the side track, I'm off on a tangent here my  BS must me low. Regardless, keep your eyes open and stock up while you build a better forge. At least make a "duck's nest" forge, they're not ideal for charcoal but are easy to adapt. Just a packed clayey soil or brick covered table with a SMALL depression for a bottom blast air grate or not if you're making a side blast. A duck's nest uses arranged fire brick or heck often replaced red brick to make the fire pot. A side blast just pipes the air in through the side using an easily and often replaced short length of black iron pipe. 

See Charles JABOD thread for details of what makes a good charcoal fire. 

Also check out his (DANG! I don't have his thread about vertically mounted RR rail anvils bookmarked! I'm an idiot :() Someone will link to it in this thread. Check it out when you do. I'll see if I can search it out and link it here.

Last word of advice be VERY careful believing what you see on Youtube videos, the ONLY qualification you need to post to Youtube is a camera and internet connection. Most Youtube videos are urban myth carried to silly extremes and much is downright dangerous. 

Stick with us, we'll get your shop up and humming along i short order.

Frosty The Lucky.

You do remember that many if not MOST of the videos are pretty bogus right?

If you were only in the USA I could suggest how to source a cheap/free blower that will last a long time. (Not providing a location is like asking on the net for a restaurant to go to without listing your location or even your country!)

You can make a decent firepot for that by adding clay.

Note that they have been forge welding with charcoal for over 2000 years now, (Japanese Swords, Viking Swords, etc), so the problem is definitely with your set up.

If you are in the neighborhood; contact me and I can help you get set up.  You may want to look into the old NeoTribal metalsmiths who used to work with charcoal forges and improvised anvils and had a website(s) on the net.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm certainly are that the problem is entirely with my setup and bit the fuel choice. If I were to add a fire pot is there any detriment of using steel rather than clay or vice versa?

It's not clear in the photos but there is a gate on the bottom of the flue(?) [Ash trap?] for regulating the air but closing it seemed to have better results from my limited experimentation so far.

I'll check out the JABOD threads for some ideas.

Thanks