I Forge Iron

Hoofrasp cinch block

A clinch block requires a bit of mass and a square edge to catch under the clenched nail (your working buy feel and that edge provides an index). In day to day operations I use the edge of my pull offs as a clench block, as for me , I would cut a length off the rat tail end and say 8-10” not counting the tail, bend it so that the file halves are to get her and the rasp sides are out (either forge the rasp teach flat or grind them down) now forge the rat tail so it fits around your hand. When you fold it in half make it so the cut edge stands just a bit proud so that when you bend the tail over it is not higher than the endgame that will be the “anvil”

after a quick search here is a clench block from a rasp, right at the top.

And an image of a comertial block with the lip extended past the loop

642963A8-B102-46D4-A72C-ADF77EC3150E.jpeg

On the internet, look up "horseshoeing competition" and  that will lead to all kinds of farrier videos that show the many ways that farriers clinch shoes.  As Charles stated above, many horseshoers just use their pull offs or whatever is in their hands at the time. Good luck.   

• 1 year later...

I’m still using one of the first ones I made when I first went out on my own. Can see it in the photo hanging on the top left side cutout on my shoeing box, where it’s been since I scrapped my noisy,short aluminum platers box and ordered the taller baskins box. That clinch block is a standard 14” Nicholson Platers magiCut that was used for field trims on broodmares. It skipped vise rasp/hot rasp and straight in the scrap pile lol. I’ve made a pile of them over the years,even forge welded the folds in a few even tho it’s overkill. The original there in the picture was made in the old NC 2 burner gas forge I had at the time.  I like a good bit of mass in my blocks so I use the entire length of the rasp.

The edge of mine where you catch the nail nub with has been squared up and the surface that’s against the hoof wall is hammered in to a slight bevel. I’ll take a couple pictures of it tomorrow when I go out to the shop. 

D78D86AF-1CA0-4751-9309-49B31AB74C0D.jpeg

• 3 months later...