I Forge Iron

Bell mechanisms

yesteryearforge

Have been asked to refurbish a rather large bell to a restored condition
Allthough the bell itself is not damaged the supports and clangers were broken or missing, which brings me to the problem
Have made the hanging mechanism but the clanger and ringing [ lever or wheel ] is missing.
It is a number 34 bell that was on the local high school
50 some years ago they decided to remove the copula to make the building look more modern / well they just threw the bell off of the 3 story building which pretty much broke everything to pieces , its amazing that the bell was not broken or cracked.
The county has recently recieved a grant to restore the building to its original state and use it as an extension of the community college.
Any help with sites / books / photos etc. showing the actual ringing / clanger mechanisms of bells in this general size range would be greatly appreciated.
Everything ive found so far only shows the outside of the bells.
I could come up with something but want it to be as true to the orginal concept as possible

Hope this helps yesteryear
bell01.jpg
bell01.jpg

or email me and I will send a bigger whole picture you can print out.

The clapper was a bell shaped piece of cast iron on a rod as shown:
clapper.jpg

A Bell is cast as in this drawing and the clapper must hit in the thick section at the bottom as shown:
clapper2.jpg

Imagine what those wreckers could have got for a bell as pictured by Irn, on Ebay :shock: had they displayed a bit of forward thinking, like....gee I wonder if someone will invent a system that will revolutionise communication around the world.

And it strikes me as ironic that 'modern' only lasts a few years whilst 'the old' (read quality, workmanship, timeless designs) rarely loose favour in the long run.

As far as I can tell the remnants of the clapper is kind of wedge shaped piece bolted in tight along with the hanger. On this wedge shaped piece there was two 1/4 x 1 inch flat bars / one on each side with what appears to be leather stacked shims that would rest on the inside walls of the bell and the clapper would hang and swing from the center of the wedge shaped piece.
I assume that the leather shims were to deaden the ring from one swing to the other so as to not let one ring from one side bleed over to the ring from the other side / does that make sense ? / I can see it in my head but being an illiterate one finger typer am not sure if I can convey it in words.
Having no experience with bells but trying to imagine the function I also assume that there is a way to tune this bell via. the amount of leather shims and the pressure that they would apply to the sides of the bell.
I also expect them to ring this bell when they dedicate the building and mention my name as to the restoration of the bell so I really want it to sound as it was meant to sound.

Irn thanks for the photos and drawings but would really like to see a picture of the mechanism that I have described above as I dont think this was your ordinary everyday clanger arrangment.
Please keep the info coming. :)

Irn
What was left of the pieses that I tried to describe were part of the orginal mechanism I belive , as I had to cut the broken hanger part free from the bell and although the bolt was steel the wedge shaped piece was cast iron and done in the same fashion as the rest of the castings.
The wedge shaped piece held a pivoting part that the clanger rod attavhed to

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...