I Forge Iron

ŠZ mark on anvil

Hi everybody, 

I want to start by saying that I've been reading posts here for a couple of years without joining and have found a huge amount of great information in this community.  Thank you.  I recently purchased some anvils and found that a several of them have a mark I haven't been able to identify, yet.  Someone told me it is a Belgian maker, but I've had zero luck tracking it down.  I'll try ot post a photo or two.  Any super sleuths out there? Could you help me out?  To me, it is not a Belgian letter (š) so I guessed Czech. Šz  seems like it would be a slavic name, at least.  Still could be Belgian.  Anyway, I have about 30 I haven't really been able to identify.  So, if this is the place - I did read the "read this first"- I'll perhaps ask for your help again in the future!

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 9.38.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.32.29 PM.png

Thanks No Name!  That helps a lot.  its 385 pounds, looks almost new,  and I'm trying to figure out whether I should keep it or not because there's an identical one that is unused in the bunch also - except it's 326 pounds.  So, I guess that's number 29 that doesn't need further research!  

That Belgian guy referred to could be me. I have 2 of these babies; shown here :

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/57774-anvil-from-the-railway-workshop/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/61365-anvil-twins/

From what I guy from the Skoda foundry guy, these are cast tool steel anvils (it looks like a faceplate, but it is in reality a grind line from the tooling), and the steel is the same steel used for battleship guns. They are extremely hard - a file doesn't even scratch it. The foot on mine is made specific to this shape to have 4 large locking bolts holding the anvil down in naval usage.

mvg; bart

• 4 weeks later...