I Forge Iron

fire brick vs refractory cement

Mikey64

Newby here and in process of a truck tire rim coal forge build.  the wheel well is very large and I have seen where others have used fire brick laid in such a manner as to create a small pot where all the bricks are loose (for easy clean up i suppose),  molding refractory cement (purchased or DIY) to fill in leaving a fire pot shape once dried and hardened, as well as a combination of the two.  I would like to put something in the bottom of the wheel well to cover the many holes in the rim on its side and create a level surface that would be raised to at least the level of the bottom of the grate setting above the air supply (please forgive my lack of vocabulary knowledge).  

My question is does anyone have a suggestion on what might work best to get a usable forge out of a tire rim on its side with an air supply coming up through the center hole of the rim?  I am also interested in "definitely do NOT do this..." advise as well.

thank you

In the read this first thread searching on the forum is covered along with editing your profile to show your location and other hints to get the best out of the forum.

BTW my coal forge that I built 35 years ago is made from a semi truck 26 inch rim as the base. Been going strong since but the JABOD and 55 forge are easier to build.

100_1985.thumb.JPG.bf102c27216aa92d16d02e5744af99d6.JPG

Another shot of my forge. The hearth/table is made from an old scrounged manhole cover ring and the fire pot is made from fire clay with a steel fire grate. I wouldn't use refractory cement, it's been discussed extensively on the forum. The best fire pot would be constructed from steel plate.

100_1764.thumb.JPG.0e787704b5bbb5fb0e9f4a81c2fc9993.JPG