I Forge Iron

Just Getting Started - Questions

RToons

I need a hobby other then fishing & Hunting due to mobility issues!  I selected forging knives, forming steel into shaped needed for gardening, etc...

I purchased a welder XXXXXX More then what I need  at this point buy wanted option as my skills progress!

I purchased an old stainless steel milk can 10'" W 35"Round 19X"H VERY thin wall maybe 1/16" Milk can is by JOHN WOOD CO ST PAUL MN. I Plan to cut the neck off and cut the bottom out! There is a small drain value near the bottom - should I seal that up & cut hole in center for propane pipe feeding?  After weeks of reading, searching I believe I need to purchase 2" of some insulation like kaowool or similar ceramic insulation BUT so many selections I am unsure ?  Di I also need ceramic fiber board or can firebrick good enough to cover end if needed to keep in heat?

Then some heat resistant cement to paint on the insulation and again so darn many suggestions & beliefs?

The firebrick is straight forward I believe but any option is welcome!

I plan to put up a 10'W x 5'L x 7'H Lean-to made of steel sheeting or galvanized sheeting and am looking for materials I can afford. The floor will be of dirt or fine gravel and steel grate but still thinking.

I need more knowledge on creating a SAFE deliver system for the propane I plan to use. The propane will be from a standard 40lb type used for my grill . I watched many videos but it seems they skip the regulator issues. Can I use the regulator from my grill. I have a quick /connect/release regulator that hooks to grill heating system that connects to the propane tank! It seem I can construct a torch that will feed into the forge via regulator from the grill? In any case I need more data on how to accomplish this task in a SAFE way! 

I do have a very small anvil and purchased a 3' section of railroad rail I plan to mount upside down and use as the main anvil! Could NOT afford a real anvil!

Any constructive instruction and references will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Mod30
remove commercial link

Put the rail road rail on end with the mass of the rail under where the hammer hits. As soon as you hit hot metal, it becomes an anvil.

Read the gas forges section to answers to many of your questions, including how to make a Frosty T burner.

In order to get the most from the site, READ THIS FIRST

Welcome to IForgeIron.

Welcome to IFI...

First of all it would help to know where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. This thread will help you get the best out of the forum. I always suggest reading it. READ THIS FIRST

As far as the regulator from a grill, no it will not work for a forge.

Welcome aboard RToons, glad to have you. That is quite the list of questions and things you've already bought to use. My first piece of advice to you is. SLOW DOWN. Forget Youtube, there aren't very may how to videos posted on youtube worth watching and some outright dangerous. 

To do our best helping you out we need to know a few things. What kind of mobility issues do you have? Everybody has issues, I'm not so stable on my feet anymore, I don't get dizzy but I wobble at unpredictable times. It's a TBI thing. What limits do you have to work with? We help each other work through things all the time. Okay?

I don't know how you're measuring that milk can and I'd rather not guess. Save it, it'll make an excellent quench tank, especially if you got the lid too. Not so much a forge.

Propane: SAFETY, supply, regulators, gauges, etc. is covered in depth in the "Burners 101" sub section. It'll take some looking around to find the answers but they're there. Do a little reading so you have a better idea of how burners and propane works. You'll answer a number of your own questions. For those you still have you'll be able to ask better questions and understand our answers. 

The sub section called "Forges 101" is the most current discussions about forges, the different types, shapes, materials and how they perform and for how long. Again I'm going to suggest you do some reading for the same reasons as for burners. 

I'm not dissing you but you don't know enough about the craft to know what to ask or what we'll be telling you. We've all been there, nobody's born knowing this stuff and blacksmithing is a life long learning curve, I've been learning for better than 50 years. So, please take your time do some reading, look a pictures and ask questions.

Try not to get frustrated, blacksmithing is as much fun as it gets. :)

Frosty The Lucky.