I Forge Iron

Tong parts

GMoore

I've been posting photographs of blacksmithing tools in our museum display (Sandy Historical Museum - Sandy, Oregon). and have been getting excellent responses.  Thanks to all.  We're about done.  Now, I have another question.  What are the names of the different parts of a set of tongs?  I call the "handles" reins and the other end, jaws.  But, I may be wrong.  What do you call the small "balls" at the end of the reins, on some tongs?  Do you call the handles, rails?  Where do the jaws begin?  At the pivot point?  What do you call this pivot point (where the rivet goes through)?  Anything I'm missing?  Thanks

I don't know if the small balls at the end of the reins have a name but are generally use to keep tong clips from slipping off or decoration. The handles are called reins and the part the rivet goes through is the boss and the jaws or bits (either is correct) begin past the rivet where the stock is fullered or drawn out.

Thomas is right and both of those references are available as downloads for free.

In reply to Mr. Powers comments, I personally have quite the blacksmith, welding, archaeologic, and general historical reference library (about 2,000 vols.).  I was trying, however, to find names and terms which are varied and historic.  The museum is historic in nature, historic, in the sense that it is regional.  Our regional history includes pioneer trail information (we are on the Oregon Trail), timber related items, and agriculture.

Thinking about it I can see two practical uses for the ball finials on the reins: First would be stops to prevent retainer clip or ring from sliding off the ends. 

The other and maybe more practical is to keep the from accidentally slipping out of your hand and not hinder dropping them intentionally. 

Frosty The Lucky.