I Forge Iron

Hello from Crosby ND.... It's a little chilly...

UWBob

Hello everyone.  My Name is Bob Stewart, and yes, I'm in Crosby, ND.  Well at least about 7 miles from there.  Just moved up here from Florida, lived in FL for about 24 years, needless to say it is a little cooler here.

I'm new to this stuff, but I have gotten some metal hot and have wacked it a few times, but that is about it.  I’m starting to build my “shop” with what I can find, or can build myself.

If anyone is in the North West ND, or knows of anyone that likes to strike hot metal please let me know, I’m always looking for some help, or just someone to hammer with.

Thank all of you!
Bob (aka UWBob)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob, glad to meet you. I can't believe I'm the first person to say hello. Have you tried contacting your local ABANA affiliate? If you don't already have a forge check out the jabod and side blast 55 threads. If you do have one everyone loves to see pics. Do you know what type of things you want to forge? 

There's plenty of info here to keep you reading for quite some time. 

I apologise it has taken so long to get a response. please don't hold it against us I'm sure it was just an oversight. Everyone really is very friendly and helpful as possible. 

Anyway glad to see another person interested in smithing. 

Once again good to meet you and best of luck with your shop. Don't hesitate to ask questions everyone really is willing to help.

Pnut (Mike)

Nope, didn't get it,frosty .   I'm gonna need to have a serious discussion with my secretary. ; )

All kidding aside I neglected to check his profile before I posted. Oh well , I should have known better.  I thought it was very strange no one stopped by to say hi and I didn't want him to drift away thinking how rude we must be. I feel much better now.

Take it easy,

Pnut (Mike) 

Pnut:All is good, thank you responding, and as Frosty said, I have been in contact.
I have gotten a lot of very good suggestions and information here already....
Right now I have a small homemade "charcoal" forge, I haven't tried it with coal yet as I moved to the cold from Florida, and in FL I could not find coal, but here I can get some, not sure what type they carry but I will be trying it when it warms up, if it warms up.  I will check out the "jabod" posts, as I am looking for one.
My wife is from here (Crosby), I'm from MN, but I got stationed (ex-Air Force) in FL as just stayed there for about 23 years.

Thank you, and thank everyone!
Bob

Welcome Bob...

Sometimes when you are in the middle of nowhere, you tube can be a big help. However there are a lot of videos that are just down right dangerous when it comes to blacksmithing. Don't know if you have seen this thread but it is a list of blacksmith's that have you tube channels and all of them have been vetted and are good.

We especially like jlpservices videos along with Black Bear forge and subscribe to both.

Yes, I watch a lot of Youtube, and I mean a lot.  I think I have seen many of the videos from the two "artists" you mentioned.  I will subscribe to both of them.
 I want to thank you, and everyone here for all your support  here on this site, it is great!
Bob

You're welcome Bob but the truth is we just like addicting new folk to the craft. Fire, noise, dirt, hitting things and inherently dangerous. What could be better? Some of us are even into arranging flowers, they just forge them first. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.