I Forge Iron

First anvil

OldNewbieAus

Hello all,

I'm excited because I have just picked up my first 'real' anvil. It was quite cheap but has to be better than the improvised 'H' beam I have been using.

It has a raised casting saying 'HEYFIELD 1CWT' and that's what it weighs.  I live in Australia so maybe pretty obscure.

It has an obvious casting line and doesn't appear to have a hard face-plate. It looks old "It was my grandfather's" said the vendor.

It rings beautifully but has only about 50% rebound.

However, right in the working area there are a few hammer marks, semi-circular divots about 1/2 to 1 mm deep. Otherwise the face is flat and quite true.

What advice? Live with it as is or attempt to fix. If you think I should 'fix' the face, how? I'm tempted to hammer the hell out of it and see if I can re-form the metal.

I am very new to this so I would appreciate any wisdom.

I'll post pictures soon.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by OldNewbieAus
Missed detail.

First determine if it is cast iron or cast steel.  If it is cast iron, use it to fund a better anvil purchase down the line!

Work hardening has been used traditionally for some softer anvils that are NOT cast iron.  Of course just using it would accomplish that to a point...

Please do no subtractive face work on it!