I Forge Iron

Emerson 1" x 42" Belt Sander / Grinder

Picked this up last Sunday in Buellton, California, as found on C list. Works well as is, but probably time for some new bearings. Nice 1hp motor and heavy sheet metal. Went straight to work at my current place of employment (I provide, for the most part, my own tools). Emerson is still in business after 129 years.

Thanks for looking,

Robert Taylor

20190210_183332.jpg

20190210_183157.jpg

20190210_183045.jpg

20190210_182938_1549856854882.jpg

Nice little belt grinder. Looks like it would love a new drive belt. 

I have one similar without the motor or base. It has been kicking around my shop for over a decade. I'll probably kick myself when I finally set it up and find how useful it is. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I'll probably kick myself when I finally set it up and find how useful it is.

Adding a belt grinder was a revelation. I was going to say I don't know how I got along without one, but I actually do know: Not nearly as well.

31 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

As the old Sourdough said, I hope it soon pans out for you!

This is gold.

1 hour ago, Anachronist58 said:

golden mouth

"He peered sideways up and gave a long low whistle of call, then paused awhile in rapt attention, his even white teeth glistening here and there with gold points. Chrysostomos. Two strong shrill whistles answered through the calm." -- James Joyce, Ulysses

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I don't have a spare 1hp motor, I do know that, but I'll see what I do have and see how it works out. 

My 2x90 runs off a 1 hp. I've bogged it down once or twice (usually a sign that I'm pushing too hard, need to replace the belt, or both), but even underpowered, it's still great. I imagine that you could get away with something smaller on a 1x42 if you had to.

• 3 years later...

I must say, I am really missing my belt grinder. That first driven pulley on the belt circuit, had a very damaged ⅝"ø shaft with two bearings on it.  I bought a new length of ⅝"ø keyed shaft, and started to press out the old shaft on the three ton rack and pinion press. No luck. The bearing and shaft assy were branded Hoover. So, over to the 5 ton flypress. No luck.  Over to the 12 ton hydraulic press. 

KA BLAM!! Turns out that the inner race was integral to the shaft.  Bought new bearings, and need to turn some new housings.  Have put it off for far too long.  Will mention this on my press thread, but I must say for most folks and most applications, a good belt grinder is a fine stand in for a bench grinder.

I have a 500# 'bench' (tool & cutter machine) grinder, so it is quite an endorsement, coming from me, in my most humble brag opinion, of belt grinders, per se...

DAS Woof, that sure looks a lot like my Emerson - sell it for parts?:ph34r:

Pictures soon, we hope..

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum

Robert, I am sorry to hear of your issue of a KA BLAM!

Ugh. 

I have to thank you tho. This is one of those things that got lost in the shuffle with having kids. I Did end up getting a variety of belts for this grinder. I have not yet mounted it with a motor. I do have a couple of motors laying around to use tho. 

With having got belts And a few motor choices, I have to say that I really should try to mount it up and try it out. 

Has it really been three years? Where does the time go? 

Thank you for the reminder of something I have neglected to get to. (There is a Lot) 

On a great note, It is my eldest daughters 4th. birthday today. Will have her party with friends this weekend. She is very close to being ready to come help in the shop with me. 

Fantastic. Robert and Sheila's best wishes from the extreme southwestest of the United States!

Every time I want to grind something, I start for the Emerson. But I BROKE it. Yes, it happened just like that.

I worked with big machines. You brought the work to the machine.  I found that to be quite nice.

The Emerson is the smallest big machine I have, and once you finally set up, and with proper abrasives, you will kick yourself, and, to restart the running pun, you will realize why it is my bread and butter....

Robert Taylor

There were many different manufacturers of these.  I've got a Rockwell, Belsaw, and my brother has an Emerson.  They are pretty handy.  There was a  guy selling replacement wheels and platens for these on Ebay about 5-7 years ago. 

At the Vintage Machinery DOT Org website, they have a manual for the Rockwell available for download.