I Forge Iron

2x72 Belt grinder

Currently building a 2x72" belt grinder. I am having issues with the tracking being that it tries to run off one side or the other. I am unsure if it is the angle of the belt coming in? Maybe not enough spring tention? 

I would also like just some general thoughts or ideas that I could improve the design.

Thanks,

0217191657_HDR~2.jpg

0215191508c_HDR.jpg

You are right I jumped the gun a bit with making this post. Just go a bit excited to find a forum after having trouble with the grinder. But yes, I have been using a C-clamp for the moment, I haven't finished the adjustment. I assume the finer the better for the screw adjustment on the tracking wheel. I think I might get the spring tention a bit firmer as well.

Thanks for the reply

Welcome to IFI...Have you read this yet? It will help you get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

I think it covers the size of photos so they don't take up so much band width. There are members from about 150 countries and many of them are on dial up. Also if you will edit your profile to show your location, it will help us give accurate answers that depend on where in the world you are located.

You don't seem to have a tracking adjustment. One wheel needs a screw to tilt it incrementally so you can adjust tracking. This is a basic component. Belts aren't all the same so a little adjustment to the tracking is a must.

You can over tighten belts and burn out bearings, motors, etc. for no good reason.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi, again, IBT.  I hope you don't mind the contraction of your name.  Mine is FJH.  I was wondering what retainer system you used on the wheels for your grinder; and is the drive wheel fully mounted onto the motor arbor?  It might be possible for the belt tension to move that drive wheel just enough at high speed to allow the motor arbor to "machine" the wheel hub rather quickly, especially where the keyway is.  What material is that hub made of?

Sorry to keep going on about these details; but the last thing I want to hear is an injury report.

FJH: You need to learn more about belt grinders before you start worrying about things you don't understand. Grinder pullies like those are purpose made, the bearings extend beyond the pully so you just tighten the correct size bolt and it's secure. They Can NOT move around. Purpose made drive wheels are matched to common motor arbors a set screw anchors them securely. This is how these things have been done for centuries. Honest, old tech. REALLY old.

About breaking belts being a serious hazard. Not really, the drive wheel draws the belt away from the platen and you so a broken belt is sent away behind the machine. It's physically impossible to push the belt up and over the idler pullies and endanger you.

I'm new using one of these but have decade with my old 2" x 48" and have broken uncounted belts. The worst I've gotten is a sting and red mark and that was from a strip off one edge of a belt. 

The pic below is my grinder from a club grinder build. Yeah, the motor is from my 2" x 48" belt grinder and is temporary, I've acquired a 1.5 hp. that'll go on next spring. Anyway, the T handle screw on top of the vertical member adjusts the tracking by tilting the top idler (tracking) wheel up or down. 

A tracking wheel is a MUST.

Frosty The Lucky.

1293385732_NewGrinder02.jpg.8c397c6e34eead65418f15f86b3f230f.jpg

O.K.,  Mr. Frosty, if you say so.  You just better be triple sure about the "bolts" holding those idler pulleys on.  They don't have hex heads, nor are they secured with female allen heads.  The only other way they could be secured is that they're studs, welded or threaded into the platen and frame.  That's why I 'asked' how they were attached.  At least I'm willing to look, listen and learn, not you though.  You're so busy being right, you don't have time to listen.  And that's scary.

DONE

14 minutes ago, eutrophicated1 said:

willing to look, listen and learn, not you though.  You're so busy being right, you don't have time to listen.  And that's scary.

My what a fine example of being wiling to learn.

Those appear to be Torx head lag bolts, you bottom the lag and the rotating bearing can't turn them. That's the last I'll know for you. Please set me to ignore so I don't inflict myself upon you accidentally talking to other folk.