I Forge Iron

Fisher anvil?

Mike Cross

Picked this up today. No distinct stamping but I believe it is a Fisher. Only mark is, what I believe to be, a “2”, on the rear foot. See pic. Stand for 200lbs.? Weighed it on a scale about as old as the anvil and it read 185lbs. Makes sense, give or take a few.. No ring, like a Fisher. Great rebound, like a Fisher. Shaped, like an old Fisher. Forged, not cast. See pic. I would like to know the approximate time period from any Fisher expert, and any other information about this anvil if possible. Thank you and truly appreciate and respect any shared knowledge. 

B190320A-0977-45C8-9905-97E63081DB85.jpeg

EE194188-8AE1-4754-8958-540C6E62D00C.jpeg

B5492A4C-A34E-4D72-9D46-1585A8167FBD.jpeg

C411FE99-6D8C-4669-9E58-0FEFA530E347.jpeg

Ahhhh! Good observation! I was under the assumption it was forged due to the keyholes/ tongholes.. But the raised “2” is a very solid piece of evidence to indicate a cast. There also is swelling under the hardy as well.. Do I have a Badger? So much left to learn.. I am in Western Massachusetts BTW.. Appreciate the input!

It is always difficult to say anything definitive from photos alone.  But from the photos, it appears that you have an early Fisher, approx late 1850's.  Straight horn on the underside. Your anvil was made in Trenton, NJ.  Follow me here or at Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  Hopefully within a year, my book will be finished on everything Fisher, from their founding to present.

30.thumb.jpg.8a36230ca5a4d38ea303b705a4e823b6.jpg

Funny thing 1850's is not considered extremely old for an anvil; usually the pre 1800's "colonial" anvils are considered "old".  I have an 1828 William Foster that I still forge on.  I found it in very poor condition and bought it cheap to use as a testbed for a "traditional" anvil repair experiment; still waiting on a crew sufficiently touched with the spark of divine madness to undertake that project...

To paraphrase another recruiting ad: "Smiths wanted for hazardous project rebuilding an anvil. Small wages, blazing heat, long hours of complete insanity, constant danger. Safe success doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success."