I Forge Iron

Custom burner and forge having problems

Mwelder2018

Yeah, that's what he'd tell you, it's running darned rich. File them in 1/32" increments then fire and take notes. You want to sneak up on neutral, once you've cut them back too far you have to replace the mig tips. (I've done that more than once!)

Just  be patient, you'll be able to hear when you're getting close, these things really ROAR, almost shriek even. 

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Mwelder2018 said:

What would be the easiest material to make my first blade from?

Are you offering me a straight line? I LOVE a good straight line and this is a real test. . . No comment.

Did you try a forge weld or are you assuming? There are a lot of variables involved though the #1 three rules take care of almost all of them. I could weld at the color I see on my screen but digital cameras are notorious for making glowing things look brighter than they are.

Looks good, have fun we'll be here when you run into problems. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

You haven't forget that you need to pile up hard bricks in a movable wall, about 1"  away from the exhaust opening, have you? They are so much cheaper and easier to carry back to your garage than a bunch of refilled ($$$) propane cylinders ya know. You'l reach welding temperature with sooo much less fuel that way; just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so i Successfully forge welded pieces of lawnmower blade still working on some Damascus for a blade have forged two blades and tried to forge my own tongs twice now harder than I thought now trying blackbear forge tongs that he done a video on going much smoother going to blacksmith guild central va Saturday . I can't wait to finally get started and start learning the craft.