I Forge Iron

Riddle me this batman

Thursigar

My dual frosty t burner propane bottle forge was up and running beautifully. Even at 2 psi I could get it up to forging temps. Alas, I managed to put kinks in my copper line during installation. 

So I went ahead and replaced the copper line and now my burner sputters no matter the psi range. I didnt move the burner nor change anything other than the copper line. 

From reading threads online I see 3 possibilities:

1. Now that the line isnt kinked, its created a flame with too much propane (it looks blue to me, video attached)

2. Not enough oxygen going into the I take. I'm inside a garage with the door open, and it wasn't unusually windy. 

3. Exhaust fumes mixing in with the combustion, but I'm not entirely familiar with what this means or how to fix it. 

Since it was working great before, my best guess is reason 1, which I think could be fixed by cutting back the mig til? Am I on the right track here?

Ps the tiny bit of dragons breath coming from the first burner is from plistix I just put in. The copper line that was replaced was the one further away.

20190205_223207.jpg

Looks like the jets got knocked out of alignment. If you threaded the Ts a little too deep the brass fitting can be easily bumped out of position. Just because you only changed one doesn't mean it didn't bump the other one too.

My vote is to give Thomas a gold star this evening.

Frosty The Lucky.

On a service flag; a gold star indicated that the person who served died. 

While I do not qualify for being on a service flag;  the connotation is still there.  I'm sure you were referring to the kindergarten/first grade approbation; but it was a good way to edumacate some folks about service flags. (Planning a trip to NW AR next month to attend my grandfather's birthday; he was a Marine on Iwo Jima in WWII and so was thinking about such flags...)

Hence "Gold Star, Families" in the news lately.

We grew up in a time a gold star on a test, report, etc. meant excellent. Meant something to try for. I'll think up something special for you.

Please tell your Grandfather Frosty says thanks for serving.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas,

Bless him. My wifes grandfather was a marauder pilot during WWII and till the day he died had trouble talking about it except when he went to marauder reunions. I was blessed to be able to attend one of these reunions. The men who served were truly cut from a different cloth and as the years pass and we lose them the world is a less rich place. May you be able to attend many more of his birthdays and absorb as much from him as you can. 

On 2/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

There is the chance some trash got into the line while changing it out. Might check the orifice for something blocking it.

I ordered some tip cleaners and poked around but all seemed well. I'm sure I'll need them again sometime. 

On 2/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Also: some burners are very sensitive to alignment and I've had issues just bumping the hose leading to them, never thinking I had knocked them off center.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:01 AM, Frosty said:

Looks like the jets got knocked out of alignment. 

So I realigned and adjusted the depth of the burners and that seems to have helped. However, in doing so I also created a significant gap in my burner port. Now I have blue flames coming out of one of them (pic attached).

I have some leftover kaowool I could stuff down there but don't have a way to protect it from burning up and creating toxic fibers. 

I have a full 5 lb bag of kastolite too. But I'm not sure how I would go about using it to patch a burner port that's that awkward. Or how to store the leftover kastolite since I won't need all 5 pounds. 

Thoughts?

20190213_001034.jpg

20190213_000603.jpg