I Forge Iron

Hoodies, long sleeves and safety

Glenn

A hoodie is often used for a little extra warmth in a shop. DO NOT wear one near moving equipment or tools.

An angle grinder will grab on the draw string of a hoodie and use the string as a direct path to climb up to your head. A lathe will grab the draw string and use it to pull your head into the lathe. And the list goes on and on with every tool.

Long hair needs braided or tied back. Long sleeves are not suggested for shop use as the tool can catch onto the sleeve and pull you into the tool.

Do not give any tool a chance to harm you.  Just because it did not happen today does not mean it will not happen.

I figured out the hoodie drawstring thing pretty early this winter season. I was going to do some grinding, bent over to get my ppe stuff and saw the string flopping about. So I said to myself, "self, his looks like a you tube moment waiting to happen". I tucked the strings in, and went to work. I might just yank them out, since it is just a shop hoodie. I do know that it is all cotton, though. Thanks for the heads- up, Glenn.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Got to have a hoodie on especially when were out workin in the minuses alot of places up here require the fire resistance ones for the last 10 yrs that i can remember, i think they come without strings. UP here long sleeves are required when doin hot work cuttin ,grinding and welding and don't caught without gloves on by dept of labour they are starting to fine individuals who don't comply with the safety laws.