I Forge Iron

Brand new here, but I thought I might jump into it.

I have some annealed 1/8" 52100 flats that I was hoping to use for a pair of pruning shears for my foreman at work. And yes, I'm familiar with how 52100 forges. I've made a few knives from it. It's just that I've never really spring-tempered anything before (as shown in the design).

As far as equipment, I have a break drum coal forge, a few punches, wolf-jaw tongs, a straight peen hammer, some hot cut chisels, a rail anvil, and a low speed bench grinder with a sanding attachment.

With what I have, how do you think I should best go about drawing it back? Should I use a different steel in regards to the spring?

Also, if I'm not being clear, if I'm leaving out some important details, or if you're just curious as to why the heck I'm asking, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the input!

image1.thumb.jpeg.a68c19b45eccba6d093ed38d642c2067.jpeg

Man, that's an awfully advanced project though not beyond your equipment list. The grinder is a big might work but draw filing and hand sanding is a shoo in to work.

Not being a bladesmith guy I see 52100 makes good knives but I don't know about springs. Can you link us to better pics or maybe make more complete drawings? 

Frosty The Lucky.