I Forge Iron

Identify a shoe

Grits

Hello all. I’m new here. I’ve never worked with metal but think it’s an interesting craft and appreciate the work and artistry involved. I’m hoping someone either is familiar with or has a suggestion where to look for information. I have an old horseshoe or maybe muleshoe that while plundering in in my great grandfather’s old store building. There was a small wooden barrel full. On the curve it’s stamped with a heart shape and a H below. Along the left side the word Germany. I think it is interesting and would like to know more about when it was made, who made them and what the heart H means. Any help given would be really appreciated. I also found a cast iron old tobacco cutter that is rather neat. 

D6135741-CFD9-4586-A8E0-C7609B9C0C36.jpeg

1D211DEE-7257-4F2B-A244-BDEFE68E36E8.jpeg

BF7957CF-E9A7-4918-8611-E368DB75E2D0.jpeg

3DDBF968-FBE3-4F41-A843-B255076079E6.jpeg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. 

Posting the same thing in multiple places won't get you more or better answers. What it IS likely to get you is a little speech about folks in 3rd world countries on dial up connections twice a month and wasted bandwidth. Perhaps some suggestions from Admin.

We have a lot of farriers on board, I'm sure one will be along soon. The site is organized by subject easily found on the opening page, just scroll down till you find THE one or the closest you can, do a little reading, your question is likely to have been answered any number of times already. If not or it's not clear, ask away.

Don't sweat it, IFI has a learning curve and nobody gets it right all the time. We'll actually cut you some slack. . . . Well. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you sir. It was my understanding that I put the original in the wrong thread. Then I went to this one. THEN I saw somehow I posted it twice! I tried to figure out how to delete but if you can I didn’t find it. When anyone complains I’ll own up to it and apologize because I truly didn’t mean for this to happen. I looked through all the types of sections AFTER IronDragon (hope that’s not a description of attitude, just kidding little lizard) pointed it out to me. To be honest I’m still not sure it is in the correct place. I seriously do hope I’ve not offended anyone this early. Geez, I’m screwed on my first post. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

That's a tobacco cutter isn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes sir, it is. I’m trying to find approx age. I’ve seen ones that look the same that are listed as mid to late 1800’s. I’m a sucker for vintage items, heck I’m still married to my husband. Especially like this since it was my great grandfather’s. 

I did a google search for rjr tob co tobacco cutter, lots of hits to sites selling them. Can't link to those sites per TOS but here is the google page. That company is the fore runner of R.J. Reynolds.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=rjr+tob+co+tobacco+cutter

Thank you, George. You confirmed my guess that it would be a mule shoe if for no other reason that size and shape. I’m not sure how old the horses were before they began shoeing back then but they just didn’t look right. If you had to guess what time frame would you put these in?