I Forge Iron

Grinder Identification Help!

NoahNN

Howdy! 

Was lucky enough to find this beast for a song but, whoever had it before me took off any identifying information.  Anybody ever seen one of these?  Anybody know the deal with the fat hollow pulley in the back left? Anyway, need to replace a synchronous drive wheel, and belt from the motor to the transmission...   Any information will be greatly appreciated, I've been searching for weeks now...  Thank you for your time! 

IMG_20190115_144932.jpg

IMG_20190115_144921.jpg

IMG_20190115_144822.jpg

It doesn't look home built to me, too many stamped pieces. "Vintage Axe Works" makes and restores axes ( I just searched it) and that's their logo on the sticker. Maybe probably surplussed out of their shop? There's a contact link on their site. I'd give them a call, the phone is a LOT more likely to get a response than an email.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

It doesn't look home built to me, too many stamped pieces. "Vintage Axe Works" makes and restores axes ( I just searched it) and that's their logo on the sticker. Maybe probably surplussed out of their shop? There's a contact link on their site. I'd give them a call, the phone is a LOT more likely to get a response than an email.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the replies my dudes!  I have already spoken with Vintage Axe Works and Red Label Abrasives, both were unfamiliar with the machine.   Several proprietary cast iron pieces also lead me to believe this was not a home built rig. 

Yo Dood. Did you talk to one of the old timer doods at the axe works? This grinder may have been sitting in a back room for  years before someone cleared the space.

I'm thinking the large drum is for finish grinding and polishing large faces. Say axe heads so they come out with single straight grind marks.

Have you searched it for any ID plates? I'm betting it has a patent on it if not model and serial #.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, NoahNN said:

fat hollow pulley in the back left

I see this as a home-built machine (perhaps cobbled together from some commercial cast iron parts), with some stickers added by a former owner.  My read on this, from what I can decipher from the photos is that it has two motors, one side being a belt grinder with (3) wheels and the other a (2) wheel grinder.  The large hollow pulley is the "drive wheel" for the two wheel side of the machine.  Of course I could be completely off base, hard to tell if not in person.

4 minutes ago, Latticino said:

My read on this, from what I can decipher from the photos is that it has two motors, one side being a belt grinder with (3) wheels and the other a (2) wheel grinder.  The large hollow pulley is the "drive wheel" for the two wheel side of the machine.  

Only one motor, the other thing is a transmission (hi/lo I think).  The transmission is connected to a drive spindle in the front, which is unlike  most grinders I've seen with the drive wheel in the back...  Thanks for replying.