I Forge Iron

Post vise rebuild.

rixter66

I have seen vise re-builds using old house jacks (bottle jacks) for both screw and screwbox. I have seen vise rebuilds using scaffold leveling fittings. I have seen machinist made rebuilds.  Buying the thread is generally the more expensive way to go. (Many times it's cheaper to buy a "donor vise" and transfer.)

You mention getting the acme thread but what about the "nut" it goes in; you didn't specify any of the details of the thread desired so I assume you plan to source a nut along with it?

As TP said, watch the nut.  Not everything that looks like an ACME thread is---there are also square threads and some non-standard trapezoidal threads that aren't at the same angle as the 29 degrees of the ACME standard.

It's the cost of a nut that kills ya if you can't just scab in something "standard".  1-1/8 - 5 ACME rod x 12" long in carbon steel is a hair over $ 18 USD at McMaster.  Simple hex nut is about $ 9 but goes up fast when you get to fancier nut offerings...many of which aren't available in that diameter.

1-1/8" ACME tap to thread your own runs $ 187 so you can see why it's worth finding a back door to making your own.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will definitely look into the screw jack option. I have quite a bit of the scaffold jack material, unfortunately it is 1 1/2" in diameter. The 1 1/8" rod is doable, but the price for a coupling nut is more than I really wanted to fork out at this point. So much for a quick-cheap project.:wacko: 

• 1 year later...

got mine from Tacoma Screw. 1" acme, 5 tpi 1 ' long and 2 nuts, less than $40.00 plan on making the box from black pipe and the end a small ( motorcycle) ball hitch. handle will be a 2" trailer ball. 1 1/8th" id spherical washer on the handle end for the thrust washer.