I Forge Iron

can I weld this

Bean07

G,day all maybe a straight forward question hopefully  A brake drum is it cast steel, because work is a week off as I could get heavy bore pipe as my coal fired pot or get the drum today if it is welder-able with my mig/argon mixture, if cast iron I can just get a small pack of castcraft electrodes, thanks in advance for a reply.

I have, several times, MIG welded (with co2/argon gas mix) 2" black pipe to brake "rotors" to make forge pots with success. None have cracked or separated in years of use. I made one pass then a second heavier pass. That all is if I understand your question correctly. 

Thanks guys, as I said I only have a week off before I go back, I do appreciate both reply's, but im like a bull when it comes to getting stuff done so ive just got back after buying a 200mm x 12mm flat bar that im fabricating into a fire pit, might aswell go down that path as it,s what I do for a living, I recently bought a 250 amp Lincoln welder  im super impressed with, It is way better than the 350 amp three faze ( 8 month old) machine I use where im employed.

The firebox base plate is a dummy only till I got feedback from Irondragon Forge & Clay he did and said I would be better with up to 9mm slots in the firebox base,just to cover myself im asking all for the correct info before I commit as I do more, im also putting a pivoted quick release door at the rear as suggested for longer stock.

49411163_10219294659184393_7952746996450721792_o.jpg

Looks good to me. I'd put stretchers between the legs at a convenient height for a shelf. They'll make it more stable and a below the forge shelf for hot work and tools to air cool is handy. A pair of hips (angle braces) at 90* to each other will prevent wobble. I put the hips on the back side so they're less in the way. 

My shelf is high enough I can slide a bucket of water under the ash dump to catch and extinguish any burning embers, the expanded metal of the shelf prevents me accidentally dropping pieces I'm working on in the water. It's a fast way to ruin high carbon pieces.

Frosty The Lucky.