I Forge Iron

First forge build

Coyotebait

Hey guys, finally decided to post a pic of my first forge.  Built from an old barbecue and refractory cement, and using a bathroom fan with a dimmer switch for air about 2 years ago.  I don't get a whole lot of time to work out of it, but it's always a good day when I do.  The original design had an air pipe running down the entire length, but after finding this site and doing a lot of reading I recently converted it to work as a side blast design instead.  I only have the one photo from it's first firing but I can get more in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.  Looking for design suggestions for it if anyone has any.  Thanks for looking :D

IMG_0475.JPG

First thing that will help is to notch the sides so longer stock will pass through and lay flat in the good part "sweet spot" of the fire. Second, for a side blast a bank of clay, dirt or fire brick opposite the tuyere will help keep fuel where it needs to be and give you a more controlled fire to heat stock with. 

For a side blast that grate isn't helping much. That kind of grate would even murn up fairly quick with regular use in a bottom blast working at highter heats.  Just some of my thoughts when looking at what you have there. 

You're right Daswulf, that grate did burn out quickly when it was a bottom blast.  It's long gone now.  The dirt and clay will be my next step as I've been using it as a side blast the last couple times that I fired it up and the charcoal does go all over.  I haven't been working a whole lot of longer stock in it so that hasn't been an issue, but I do see slotting the sides in the future.

JHCC: The refractory cement is in there quite solid.  I have a steel plate in the bottom that blocks a few holes and the cement wraps around it so I think trying to get it out would do more damage to the body of the forge then it's worth.

Thank you guys for the replies, this site is awesome with some of the best guys you could find.