I Forge Iron

1st burner almost done...

Tuck58

Perhaps I put the cart ahead of the horse by building my burner before my furnace (which will be small, hence 1/2" version), but I thought I'd go ahead and build the burner while I wait on my order from hightemptools. Still have to pick up some thread tape (I've read what I have is no good for propane, so gotta make a hdwe run). Also, I haven't pared down the mig tip yet, but here it is.

As you can see, I'm off center just a LITTLE bit (you should've seen the 1st one...it was almost pointing at 7 o'clock...messed up the threads when removing the tap).

Does anyone think this slight misalignment is going to cause me any problems? Also, in the pic shown, the pipe is 5 1/2" but that's because the 4" pipe I bought for the burner was in the other room when I decided to take the pics. I also bought a 1 x 1/2 AND a 3/4 x 1/2 reducer in case a flare is warranted.

So far, so good?

FTB-1.jpg.a0fced593546d4bf61ff69342723bc19.jpgFTB-3.jpg.ea017b5e27ad800c9b9ad6af43a9db74.jpgFTB-2.jpg.2372b64216f0583704a9c92b69630601.jpg

A small misalignment at the top can result in a huge misalignment at the end of the mixing tube, easy way to check is to connect the ejector assembly to a water source and see how the water jet is aligned at the end of the mixing tube. And dont forget that you will need to trim down the mig tip for best results. But it is looking good so far

I know...I'll rig something up to check it.

As this was my 1st time trying to tap (learned there's a bit more to it than simply screwing in the tap), I went ahead and bought 3 tees, the floor flange/close nipple so I could attach to a piece of 2x4 & hold the thing in my vise, and, sure enough, I screwed the 1st one up...not only did I get the hole off center (the whole thing, INCLUDING the DP vise, shifted just as the bit caught). On the 2nd one (in the pic), I had to file down the seam in the top of the tee bc it was preventing me from centering the punch and clamped the vise down better...it STILL shifted, but just barely.

The key is getting the hole centered to the mixing tube.  Sometimes the T's have threads that are not cut perfectly in line with the drop and the seams are not always dead center.  Someone on here made a setup to drill the T from the inside that worked well.  It involved a small pipe nipple and a plug that fit the inside diameter of the pipe nipple.  The plug had a hole in the center the right diameter for the drill bit.    That way the hole was drilled so that it had to be centered on the mixing tube.  If I remember correctly he used the same system to tap the hole from inside the T. Sorry if I didn't explain that too well.  If I find the thread with the pics I'll link to it.

Or you can use this technique given in Frosty's instructions:

If you don’t have a drill press, find a hole saw that will slip into the T and replace the hole saw’s pilot bit with the 5/16" drill bit. The hole saw will then act as a guide to center and align the drill bit straight down the center of the burner tube. You might have to grind the teeth off the hole saw to get it to fit and move freely in the pipe T.

Looks pretty close, nice job of eyeballing it. Buzz lines out alternate methods well. For as little as your jet is off center you can CAREFULLY bend it into alignment with a small screw driver. It'll be easier to bore site with the mixing tube attached. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I "think" my biggest problem (so far anyway) is due to my inexperience using a tap.

I have an el cheapo HF tap/die set I bought years ago, but the 1/8x27 pipe tap didn't seem to want to cut so good, so I went to the hdwe and bought a single Irwin tap...it cut MUCH better (started it in the DP as suggested in the burner instructions), but as I didn't have a tap handle that would fit the tap (HF handle too small), I ended up using ratchet with a  3/8 adapter to finish it. As you might guess, it was difficult to keep it straight while tapping.

As Frosty suggested, I attached the tube and looked at it down the length...what looked like a "slight" misalignment doesn't look so slight that way, so I took another tee to the belt sander to lightly flatten where it'll be drilled (hopefully, a flat plane will lessen the possibility of it slipping just as bit makes contact as it did before), took my time to mark out dead center, hit it with the center punch, rechecked (looks good), and will have another go at it in the morning. Going to try and tap it all the way on the DP (unplugged).

It's a good thing these tees are only a couple of bucks apiece!