I Forge Iron

Herb Knife from a File

Heelerau

A couple of shots in the forge of myself working under instruction of my mate Gary. He is both a farrier and a second generation blacksmith. He had a day to kill as his work vehicle was being serviced.  I have made a herb knife before, so this is my second go. Gary is just giving me a general tune up as I am largely self taught. I will add some photos of the the project over the next day, so just a couple of shots of us messing about taken by the Minister of War and Finance, bless her!!P1030098.thumb.jpg.3d90bbad738276943a508b1edbaed781.jpgP1030100.thumb.jpg.d3cb2076f34d08bf4f3d161895fc8738.jpgP1030103.thumb.jpg.6b157855fda5f3b880f13f7288a18cb1.jpgP1030104.thumb.jpg.c1b6863df5cbbadf0e783ca4fe850bd3.jpg

I am going to say this before Frosty gets to you. We can’t believe there is an herb knife until we see a photo. I see two mates having a day of good cheer and a some dallying at the forge. Nothing wrong with that either. It had to be a great day.  It has to be awesome to have an experienced Smith with you for a day. 

Handle is a bit of fruit tree, apricot. I cut a bunch of runes from this tree once. The couple of dings are from me using the ball peen to draw metal, I should not have used that as it has left  marks, part of learning to make a good hammer finish.  It sort of resembles a straight razor ! I use them, might make one at some time. Best get the herb knives worked out first !! I might add, beer was drunk .