I Forge Iron

Finding value of anvil

I have a nissan pickup; what is it's value?

Why can't you tell me?  Oh I guess you need to know the MODEL, CONDITION, LOCATION -----Just like if you were asking about an anvil.  Note over 100 different countries participate here on this forum on the World Wide Web. Anvils are cheaper in some countries than others shoot just location here in the USA can mean a couple of hundred dollars difference!

The inherent value of an anvil is in the utility of it: you can shape metal on it.

The price of a thing depends on the utility of the object to the prospective owner, tempered by emotion. To some people, it has no use and no value. Like shampoo to a bald man, to use a handy example.

The cost is how much YOU paid for it. Market value is how much someone else is willing to pay you for it.

Fair market value is what someone without an emotional dog in the fight would pay for it. 

Replacement value is how much it would cost you to find another one with the same utility.

Reproduction value is how much it would cost to make one just like it.

Insurance value is usually somewhere between Replacement and Reproduction.

Sentimental value........

Sam - take some pictures of your anvil from the top, both sides, each end, and the bottom.  This will help the many experienced blacksmiths here have the information they need to answer your questions.

Johns above advice is right on target when it comes to value.  There are 4 values out there for anvils generally.  The first is the going scrap price for steel.  The second is what a blacksmith who intends to use it will pay.  The third is the collector market and IMHO the fourth is the Ebay/Craigslist market.  From 1-4 the price increases.  Most here won't pay the prices demanded on Ebay and Craigslist these days and sometimes collectors will pay extremely high prices for a rare anvil in great condition.  I was told my anvil was worth $900 or more in the collector market yet as a blacksmith who uses it, I'd never pay that much for it and don't believe it's worth that kind of money.  To most blacksmiths, the anvil is an important tool that is cared for so it lasts.  We take care of our tools with the anvil being one of the most important.