I Forge Iron

First Thing I Ever Made!

So, yeah. It was supposed to be a dual-pronged hot-dog holder, but I didn't quite have the hammer control I wanted, to say the least. I almost broke off one prong hitting the hot-cut crooked (My hole isn't exactly .5" as it turns out, it's just slightly larger so that the hot-cut spins when I hit it. >.<), so I decided to abandon my hot-dog related fantasies. I curled the almost-broken prong over the horn of my anvil, and made a fire poker for my forge. There are a whole bunch of things wrong with it, but hey-- the first piece you ever make is cherished, right??????

001Poker1.JPG

001Poker2.JPG

001Poker3.JPG

001Poker4.JPG

Edited by Vladimir Marenus

I'm sneaky that way!

Bealer's book was the only one out there in my day. I purchased it after Weygers recommended it back in 1969. Little did I know that Weygers would come out with his own books a few years later. You would do well to add him to your library:

The Complete Modern Blacksmith
by Alexander G. Weygers

On edit: your hot cut chisel shank can be upset to fit, the vice will be handy for that operation if it gets mounted securely.

Edited by nett
yes

wrap electrical tape around the shank till you get a good fit......and use them to cut Hot Steel.........your hammer control will get better with practice.........The important factor is you did make the effort and got a functional tool, the rest comes later.

Hiya Vlad, First piece? Nice- better than my first piece which went well right up to the point where I burned it (*s*p*a*r*k*l*e*) oops!
You say there are a bunch of things wrong with it, not so-
You came to the anvil with hammer in hand and walked away with a finished product wrought by your own hands and mind and you learned a thing or two and that my friend adds up to a succesful forging session in anyone's book.
Now of course you can't help but notice the pervasive itch to get back to the anvil and hammer out a few more of those ideas that are now swimming around in your head which weren't there before- THAT is the progressive addiction of artistry in metal.
So now you're hooked. HA!
Welcome to the club. Dan:)

I don't remember my first piece very well, a screwdriver I believe in shop class.

Being able to recognize when one project is going south on you and being able to adapt to another on the fly is a good sign you have the knack for the craft.

Well done.

Frosty