I Forge Iron

Dating an Arm & Hammer anvil

Just brought home an Arm and Hammer 293# anvil. Says Arm and Hammer with logo below, wrought iron below that, and 293 Stamped in below that.

Edge under the horn has the number 43458 stamped in it. It also has a metal tag "nailed" to it that says 292.  Came with  wooden stand with metal pins. Someone drilled a hole in the bottom and added a 1-1/2" pin to the stand to keep it in place.

Would love to know when it was made, and who bought it originally.

IMG_1218.JPG

Metal ID tags attached to tools/equipment is common where a business/institution need to keep track of assets.

Where I work, everything is tagged.  Anything bought with funds from the capital projects budget has to be tracked with asset numbers.  Everything from computers to giant air handling units in the building.

Your anvil could have came from a school or business.

Unless the tag is identifiable as coming from a specific place, (like the name of the business stamped on it) then it's not specific. There are problably thousands of different 292 tags out there.  Ford Family or Ford Company? (And the reason being?  Something other than the seller's tale.  I don't recall any of the Fords smithing in the late 1930's; but could be wrong.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello all.  I just recently found you all and signed up.  I've been forging/smithing for just a few years and still learning.  I recently made the decision to upgrade from the cast discount tool anvil I've had for about 3 years and purchased an Arm & Hammer anvil from a guy in NW Ohio.  Turns out, according to AIA (previous owner had a copy) we believe its a first year production anvil, SN 952!  Glad we agreed on a price before he looked it up.

IMG_2792[1].JPG

IMG_2793[1].JPG

IMG_2795[1].JPG

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Several of us have agreed on that the best way to date an anvil, is to whisper sweet nothings to her, compliment her on her looks and hit hot steel on her.:D

BTW... She looks like a sweet anvil.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!  AFTER you make sure she doesn't have a wedding Ring!

She looks to be in darned good condition, I'd put her right to work. What are you going to use for the stand? Remember to get your working height where it works for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.  

Frosty, I made a stand from a salvaged piece of 4x4 steel tubing and two rr tie plates.  I added 3 bolts through the holes in the plates and welded nuts on top to fine tune the level of the stand on my floor.  It’s working great and a great deal better than the #75 cast bargain tool store anvil I was using before.  

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2814.jpeg

I like everything but your adjustment bolts, they're screaming "trip hazard" at me. If level is an issue shims from the building supply or that you forge yourself work a treat. Were it in my shop I'd round off the corners of the plate the anvil is sitting on, one poke in the leg :o is all the convincing you'll need. 

A bit of a rim around the plate will make a secure place to lay "ready" tools and such. I made tong and hammer racks that clip over the edge of the angle iron rim on my anvil stand and use them every time I'm at the anvil.

All in all I like it, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.