I Forge Iron

Star 50# hammer Question

I have a neighbor selling a Star 50 pound trip hammer for $1200. The only problem I see is that the belt pulley, for the wide flat belt drive has a chunk about 1" deep and 3" long taken out of the side. Are these pulleys avaiable to buy or will I needto repair it? Also, how do you convert a wide (3 or 4 inch) belt drive to an electric motor?
Thanks

You would probably want to braze in a replacement piece.

How do you convert a flat belt drive to a v belt drive? Get a v belt pully for the electric motor and place the v belt on the flat belt pully.

Unless this is a type that uses belt slip as the speed control mechanism then you need a flat belt pully for your electric motor and rig the treadle to take up slack with the new power source location in mind.

Be carefull of what could happen with an unbalanced pulley if it's a bit heavy and spins fast it could vibrate through the whole hammer or break and throw chunks of cast iron around the shop...
I don't know how big the pulley is, but an advice even if not necessary is always better than a risk...

many years ago,when i worked in a shop, i had to fix a drive pully. floated some brass in it and it was not balanced so, i used a lawnmowed blade balancer to find the high side and ended up brazing a penny on the outher side to balance it. iff thick enough you could drill (not all the way through) a series of holes to remove enough metal to bring into balance,sorry for the long post. hope it helps, jimmy

Good thoughts on that. I wonder what is the ideal RPM for that pulley. I would imagine it would be somwhere around 200rpm, but that is just a guess on my part. Has anyone seen Star hammers for sale, and is this a good price for one in workable condition, but still needing converted to an electric motor?

I would say YES ... I just bought my 30 lb Macgowan & finigan perfect power hammer for 1500.00 in the same area as you and if i hadn't i would be interested! 1200 is a good price in my opinion... If you get it and decide you don't like it in 6 months let me know .. i will have money again by then :D

I picked up the hammer today. A little oil here and there and everything spins nicely. The springs are a little slack, causing the hammer to hit hard even when rotated by hand. I suppose I'll now need to get a book on these type of hammers to help in adjustment and repair. I'll see if I can get a picture of it up on monday.