I Forge Iron

Hi from a Spaniard in London (Uk)

BLACKSUN

Hello from London! Its Michael,  I love metalworking, Im a full time welder, fabricator and sheet metal worker anf I'm very keen on blacksmithing and bladesmithing.

I wanna start forging miniatures and small items such as axes and swords pendants/necklaces, belt buckles etc. 

I've got many hand tools and power tools and also a propane torch, but havent got any forge at the moment, Im planning yo build a small one using my propane torch and I was wondering whats better, a coffee can forge style or a few fire bricks one? Any advice would be very appreciated. 

Thanks a lot 

If you go with firebricks make sure they are *soft* firebricks, the insulative ones you can carve with a finger nail and not the hard ones.

And the answer to which one is "Yes"!  Either will work.  I did quite a bit of work in a single soft firebrick forge with a cheap small propane torch.  (getting a connector to run a torch off of a 22 kg bottle makes it a lot cheaper!)

Welcome aboard Michael, glad to have you. A small propane forge is a good place to start. If you use soft fire brick use K 26 it has a working temperature of 2,600 f. and withstands the fast thermal cycling lighting a propane flame in a confined space produces. A bean can forge works well too but you have to mess with ceramic refractory blanket which means rigidizer to encapsulate the fibers (breathing hazard) and a hard refractory flame face to armor the blanket and provide a surface that will withstand direct contact with the flame and welding flux if you start fire welding.

Forges 101 and burners 101 are two subjects on Iforge with the most current discussions of gas forges and burners.

Frosty The Lucky.