I Forge Iron

Big Fisher Anvil Value???

Looks to me like the face may have been milled down, so MAKE SURE TO TEST FOR REBOUND BEFORE YOU BUY IT, or you could be stuck with a $1,200 hunk of Anvil Shaped Object!! Otherwise, looks like a very nice anvil, if you want a big one that badly...

After looking at it again, are you sure that is a Fisher? No mounting lugs at the base (though an anvil that large may not need them), and the casting looks rougher than most Fishers. Ninjaanvilman would know.

Thanks it seemed like a killer deal for a big anvil but I guess $1200 is about the upper end of the price range for it.  

45 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Looks to me like the face may have been milled down, so MAKE SURE TO TEST FOR REBOUND BEFORE YOU BUY IT, or you could be stuck with a $1,200 hunk of Anvil Shaped Object!! Otherwise, looks like a very nice anvil, if you want a big one that badly...

After looking at it again, are you sure that is a Fisher? No mounting lugs at the base (though an anvil that large may not need them), and the casting looks rougher than most Fishers. Ninjaanvilman would know.

It says Fisher on the front foot.

Beware of a painted face.  That can hide things like welded repairs.  Which could be good but better chance of being bad.  Those edges look very sharp and the face does look alittle low.  Good chance it was "repaired"

Looking again I see different angle grind marks on the face. 

Be cautious. Test thuroughly around the whole face of the anvil. 

Oh..... Well that does change things. 

I would not pay nearly as much knowing that. 

10 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Looking again I see different angle grind marks on the face. 

Be cautious. Test thuroughly around the whole face of the anvil. 

Oh..... Well that does change things. 

I would not pay nearly as much knowing that. 

I think I will pass at $1200 he had it up for $750 at first then someone told him it was worth way more so he took it down and wants $1200 now.

With him " fixing " it, which is more hurting it,  I would pass too. The other price was more reasonable. And depending how much he ruined the heat treat and IF the weld would even hold up I doubt it's worth as that much.