I Forge Iron

New smith in SC

Decided to finally quit lurking and introduce myself since I've used advice from this site a great deal. I've only been at it for about a month or so and I've already picked up a lot from taking project and advice from here and trying them out here at the house. I'll show you some of my projects as horrible as they are. The images are a set of rebar tongs that keep me from burning myself as much as I was to start with, a mower blade knife for cutting kindling to start the coal fire, and a process pic of a Frederick's cross.

20180408_201726.jpg

20180426_072741.jpg

20180428_094925.jpg

Welcome aboard Mile, glad to have you delurk. That's quite the chopper, if the kindling isn't complaining you're golden. The Fredrick's cross looks pretty good and if the tongs hold your work they're good. 

What's next on your project list?

Frosty The Lucky.

Next projects are lots of tapers. My hammer control needs a lot of practice.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Please look into draw filing for your next blade...

I used draw filing for evening out the tang with the handle scales but I do need to work on it more cuz my knuckles got chewed on with just that little bit. Yet another case of needs more practice.

Edited by Mile Jordan
Auto correct error

I think a kindling splitter is a perfect first knife project. Next time cover the edge and corners with tape so you don't tear your knuckles up. A little practice and you'll learn to position the blade so you're stroking away from the painful parts. Been there, learning to draw file was a big thing when I was taking shop classes and everybody had barked knuckles and blood stained projects.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey nice start. Looks like you are getting it and will go far. 

Rebar tongs are not great but they are a good start to making better tongs. have you seen Technicus Joe on youtube? He has some quality tong making videos. 

I've made tongs from rebar using his technique he shows and a chunk of granite as an anvil and a junky as found 2# or so ball pein. It works. 

You are off to a good start. Keep researching here and taking it to the anvil.