I Forge Iron

Anvil issues

Hi guys I got a question for you. My old mouse hole anvil (best guess) is wore out. The hardened top is almost totally gone. I'm looking for suggestions on a fix. I can't fix it by forge welding a new top on. I don't have a big enough forge. Any suggestions?

I've seen a couple where the face was MILLED off down into the wrought iron; still have nightmares!   (Idjits never thought that since old anvils were free handed under old steam and water hammers the face and the base might not be parallel and so bolted the anvil to the mill and made the face nice and flat and smooth and useless.  I've see a lot more where they just milled the face too thin to use; but they were even across the entire anvil...)

I can' tell if it was ground/milled off. All i can say for sure is I'm not the first guy to hammer on it. It's had a hard life

There it is. You can see the piece mesing on th edge there are another couple cracks. One at the hardy hole. 

20180416_055755.jpg

Looks more worn off; (just a friendly warning about not letting a machinist get a-hold of it without you there to set them straight...)

Heavy use and some abuse.  Usable but you might check on using the Gunther Anvil Repair method on it when you get an anvil in better shape to use while it's in the "spa"...