I Forge Iron

5 post vises located

Mellin

I found about 5 post vises sitting in a bucket at a scrapped I journeyed to the other day I asked about them and the guy said he wanted 125+ per which sounded crazy. I will get pictures I don’t have them on this device. I know one did not work others did. Some were shorter maybe broken with threaded rod to mount it to something. They were painted bluish and had very machined looking parts.

Depends on your location and their condition and size.  (US$125 would be a bragging price for a 6" vice in good using condition, horribly over priced for a 4" vise with a bad screw/screwbox. I generally buy ones missing a spring and mounting plate as they are trivial to replace and can lower the price a lot and I'm cheap!)

Depending, that's not too far out there on price even in my area. Seems like people want $100. And up. Occasionally you'll find one in the $50. Range if your lucky. If complete and in good working order they don't last long on CL going for $100. 

If in good working condition it's a tool that should last well over your lifetime so if you are in need of one its not Too bad a price to pay. 

Tp, Das thank you. I will post pictures and I would be more than happy to go back and ask if he would make a deal on all of them. He had a lot of stuff including a roll of barbed wire he said is extremely rare. I’m sure that is common to all junk yards.

I don’t have any friends out here that need them, heck I don’t think I even have a local abana chapter.

Remember, the Main thing to check is the screw and screw box. The rest is easy enough to make or fix. 

Doesn't hurt to have more than one vise. I have a large heavy one for heavy work and a small light one for file work ( yet to be mounted on my yet to be built new work bench) then I have my main go to mid sized vise by the forge and another for the travel setup. 

Can be. Could be mounted to a post sunk in the ground or to a stand with a good base that you can stand on to keep it steady in use. 

A post vise is a little different in a way from a machinist vise. It's nice to have both. 

Post vises and bench vises tend to have quite different use cases. Post vises are designed for hammering on with heavy hammers---hand sledges up to sledge hammers.

Most bench vises are made out of cast iron and will break if you hammer on them. (some are made from ductile and some are HUGE chipping vises; but in general...)

Post/leg/blacksmith vises can be mounted to work benches---often at the corners (I have 2 workbenches with a large and a small postvise on each one). The can also be mounted to a post in the middle of a free area allowing you to work with long stock.  (I'm working on making a mounting post involving nesting structural sq tubing so I can put a large vise out in the middle of the driveway and be able to run around it with a 20' long piece of steel, and then being able to pull the post and vise and drive the truck up to the shop door.)

I also have a large postvise attached to the telephone pole that holds up my shop roof. I use it for HEAVY hammering and it drives the steel walls and roof  when I use it.

I’m assuming what I referred to as a bench vise is what should be called a machinists vise. So a post vise can be mounted to a work bench without putting holes in the floor?

I apologize for putting this in the wrong thread my misguided youthful intentions were telling me that these post vises are more rare than they actually are and that blacksmiths in the Midwest could make a jaunt on over to the scrapyard because we don’t have many scrap yards around here and the ones we do have aren’t selling to the public. I’m not a scrapper or scrap yard I’m not looking to get money or be anyone’s agent I thought I was doing a courtesy and after reading Glenn’s post Again I apologize to the curmudgeons and admins who had to take the time to move it.

So a six inch jaw is desirable and reasonable for 125-150 dollars? Obviously 50 is better. I’m looking to go back to this guy and buy some rusty wagon wheels , possibly a post vise or 2, maybe some cheap barbed wire to use for additions to projects.

If you need it portable; a 6" vise is not desirable.  If you do large work a 6" may be mandatory. US$150 is considered bragging cheap for a 6" in good using condition. I like to have a large vise and a small vise on my work bench and use the one more suited for the task at hand. (4" is a lot easier to close with my knee moving the handle!) Vises came in different heights and in gracile and robustus forms as well.  Larger vises tend to be shorter as it was expected you would need room to swing a hammer on stock held in them.

Wagon tyres may be real wrought iron---learn to evaluate the rust patterns!  Most implement wheels will not be WI.

I’ll go back as soon as the snow melts and see what kind of deal I can get there were 2 I think in the six inch range. Don’t know if they work. What should I look for in problems, the screw box and eye As das said? I turned the handle on a 4 inch and the jaw did not move.

one has a 3 bolt mounting fixture, is this necessary

If the movable jaw is frozen, it is just at the pivot point. pop it apart clean it up and that's that. If the screw is frozen that's another issue. You can do the electrolisis thing, or repeated applications of penetrating fluid. Good diy fluid is atf and acetone. Plenty of threads here on the whole process- get you some reading done. Once you can see the screw, look at the wear, or lack there of. They are square threads, so wear will be obvious. It is a pretty simple machine, the screw is key.

Steve