I Forge Iron

Professional Photography, with a funny story.

jmccustomknives

A local photographer had been wanting to shoot some of my work for the last couple of years.  I wanted to do it, but getting it scheduled was a problem.  Then recently he contacted me on a Saturday afternoon and said, "lets do this".  I didn't have a clue what he had planned other than he wanted it dark.  So we met up after sunset and took off across town, down a forgotten dirt road and to an old hill top cemetery.  By this time it was very dark, no stars.  He was getting the shoot set up and some kids came down the road.  We had no lights on, so the photographer takes his flashlight and shines it in his face they way kids would telling a ghost story.  That truck load of teenagers slowed up and almost stopped as the photographer followed them.  lol.  They probably told that story the next school day.  Anyway, here's one of the pics.  While the photographer has done shoots around the world this is his first knife study.  

So the blade pictured is a cable Damascus San Mai with an 80crv2 core.  The handle is an antler drop that was sun bleached.  I dyed it brown, which soaked in like a sponge.  I figured it was mess up but went ahead and stabilized it.  After which black dye was applied.  Made for an interesting handle.  The guard was forged from 1/2" cable with the live edge left.

DSC_6579bc.jpg

Good looking knife.  I'm not convinced on the photo.  Tip of the knife is out of focus.  You've got a bright spot in the middle of the blade, and the handle is buried in shadow. The diffuse background is kind of cool, but if the pic is of the knife, the knife needs to be in the center, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Jason Fry said:

Good looking knife.  I'm not convinced on the photo.  Tip of the knife is out of focus.  You've got a bright spot in the middle of the blade, and the handle is buried in shadow. The diffuse background is kind of cool, but if the pic is of the knife, the knife needs to be in the center, IMO. 

Thanks!  This was his first foray into blades and they do have their own particular trappings.  I played with some more, and cropped them.  I think the technique he used can be used to really highlight the blade, but the feed back is welcome.  

fullsizeoutput_2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1.jpeg