I Forge Iron

hardening?

i am currently trying to make a macheti out of an old saw mill blade, it is about 2 1/2 ft long and 5mm thick, since it is a saw blade i am guessing it is carbon steel but it seems quite flimsy, i was wondering if i could get an instruction on how to harden it so it is more ridgid or, if it will even get ridged due to the lenth of it,but i am hoping for some advice, thanks

shaun.

Does the saw have carbide teeth? If so the body could be almost anything. If not then it will probably heat treat like L-6. If you are familiar with spark testing, that can give you an idea as to what you're working with. Otherwise make some samples from the blade, something around 8-10 mm by 3-4 in (hey, if you can mix units so can I), to try different heat treat methods on. Keep enough records of what you did to each sample so you can do that to the blade.

ron

If it has carbide teeth, you will see individual pieces of a different metal brazed on the tips.
I manage a lumber yard, and we have a Re-saw that uses 24' blades. We use bi-metal blades that are disposable, (so I get a LOT of scrap), because they break quite often, and and the carbide tiped blades are expensive.

Let me tell you, that when a blade breaks, and you are anywhere near the saw, it is scarry.
I have fabricated a cage so that when the blades break, they are contained.
I have seen a 24' long 2 1/2" wide piece of steel wadded up like a piece of tin foil. I dont get much scrap out of those.

We have about 5 blades sitting in the mill waiting for me to cut up.

thank you for your comment, i just gave it a loser inspection and now see the layer where the carbon starts at the teeth, and good idea on the cage you made, i wouldnt want to be anyware near a mill blade when that thing comes flying off at mach 1

I'm guessing you are trying to give it an edge-holding ability? Machetes are supposed to flex a moderate amount in use, due to the hard use and abuse they are put through. They're not supposed to be massively hard for the same reason. What are you wanting to cut with it? Long long blades like this are generally for cutting grasses, shorter ones for chopping, like a parang or, even smaller, a leuku.