I Forge Iron

Induction Coil Tubing Diameter

I'm just about to make some more coils for my induction forge. Actually, I'm going to make a triple coil, with three different sizes. Other than the issue of the coils sticking out farther and perhaps needing some support, I can't find any reason why I can't have multiple loops on one assembly as long as I'm only using one at a time.

In order to make this coil, I am using 5/16" refrigerator tubing using the adapter nuts I got from Mettle Works. The machine comes with flare nuts in a metric size, and these allow me to use regularly-available inch sizes. However, I've noticed that my existing coils use a larger size tube (like the meteric version of 5/16") but then have a smaller diameter tube which forms the coil and is then soldered to this larger diameter tube.

What's the reason for this? Is there any reason I can't make the coil from the larger diameter tube and skip the soldering of a smaller diameter coil into it?

The induction unit I used at work used 1/4" square copper tube for the coils. We used silver solder for the joints. You can use thin fiberglass, or any other insulator to protect the coils from contact with the part - it will not affect the coils operation. You want to be as close as possible to get the best coupling between the coil and the part. Here is a video I did of that unit running. Ameritherm was the manufacturer and they have great info on induction heating. Give them a call. https://www.facebook.com/walter.hess.31/videos/10202500465895728/  

• 1 month later...

I saw a youtube video where a fellow was talking about the length of tubing utilized for coils based upon the output if the machine, or something like that.

Now that I have one, I wish I remember how to find it.  Can anyone talk to the significance of amount of tubing?

I bring this to this thread as I too was thinking of making a multi sized coil but was concerned about length.

• 4 months later...

If it’s the vid I’m thinking of, it’s about the number of loops in the coil. He wanted a longer heat so wrapped six loops, and only got induction when he involved five?

Im drawing a blank on his name, but he’s a poster here and linked to his article in an association newsletter.

Does that sound like the right one?