I Forge Iron

Building a New forge

Jchio

Something I see that I think may be a problem is having your cone inside the box like that. I think it will melt away quite quickly. I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong soon, but I would pull it back in a bit. Also, the hard brick are durable for the bottom, but aren't as insulating and suck a lot of heat out so you are wasting a lot of gas to heat them on the sides and top. Do you need them there? Can you remove them and still be in your 300 or so cubic inch size? What are your current cubic inches?

16 minutes ago, sfeile said:

Something I see that I think may be a problem is having your cone inside the box like that. I think it will melt away quite quickly. I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong soon, but I would pull it back in a bit. Also, the hard brick are durable for the bottom, but aren't as insulating and suck a lot of heat out so you are wasting a lot of gas to heat them on the sides and top. Do you need them there? Can you remove them and still be in your 300 or so cubic inch size? What are your current cubic inches?

You are right in the cone remark, it became red after a while. Although the burner tube did not heat that much.  I will pull it up an inch or two. 

Im around 280 cubic inch 

017E147D-C561-4036-B471-9953AA759164.jpeg

I know more about the surface of the moon than I do about gassers.  That said, are you planning on hinging a door to one of the bolts near the front!  I know it will help with efficiency.  

From what I have read here in the past, I am pretty certain the experienced gas forge guys here tell people to stay away from brick only forges for long term use.  Efficiency and durability are their issues I believe.  Still, it’s a great way to get up and running in my opinion.  Still, you should look into castable refractory and/or ceramic blanket for the top and sides as you move forward.

There are a few must read threads that are stickied in the gas forge section that tell all.

Either way, I say you fire it up and mash some metal while you think on it.

Lou

neither the white nor the brown ceramic slabs look familiar. Could you name them for us?

46 minutes ago, Lou L said:

From what I have read here in the past, I am pretty certain the experienced gas forge guys here tell people to stay away from brick only forges for long term use.

It would be pointless to attempt to discourage people from using bricks to build their forges; considering some of the newer bricks coming onto the marketplace, it also wouldn't be wise. What we are trying to do is encourage people to choose their bricks knowledgeably. Both brick pile forges and box forges that use ceramic boards and brick are only going to become more popular.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jchio said:

Im new to this,

Welcome to IFI.

Looks like you are "on your way" can't tell how hot it is from the picture or how long it was running.

You might want to read through this thread to get the best from the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Thanks for the input!!

I choose to make it out of high alumina bricks because is what I had handy.  The outer shell is cellular concrete.  Ive done a couple of one hour+ runs on the forge and the outer shell stays around 90º (pretty much ambient temp).

Ill move up the cone, to keep it from melting.

0F417F50-3406-44CC-A08F-8A6A7B4D4239.jpeg

C7D4F405-D0E6-4A17-9FC3-D7A864F399F5.jpeg

A6214190-F56A-43A8-A878-A28601011376.jpeg

2B1D2C24-64CD-490F-927B-3F069C52A068.jpeg

Just now, Mikey98118 said:

I am seeing yellow and white interiors, which is good. Tell us a little more about the cellular concrete outer slabs? I think you have something there :) 

I had some leftovers of our new house, they were scrap but I managed to save some.  Here is some info on it, its so easy to work and ultra light weight:

http://www.hebel-usa.com/en/content/block_solido_hebel.php

BA8287E8-B961-41DB-A7C2-081984791AD6.jpeg