I Forge Iron

Anyone know anything about the Handy Forge?

JW513

Long story short, I've only taken one blacksmithing day class. I'm on a waiting list for the course. Ideally I want a coal forge and will some day (i've done a lot of reading on the pluses and minuses of both), and that is why I want to start with propane, because it seems to be more straight forward.  That being said, until I know what I'm talking about and have experience with both, I DON"T know which one I want.

I stumbled on this on amazon today, it gets good reviews. https://www.handyforge.com/  

I do like the size in some ways, because, I just want to focus on small things at first and it doesn't take up space, but I also realize that after a few months I will outgrow this and want to do bigger things... 

I tried searching the forums for it, but "Handy" and "Forge" are two very popular words on here... Go figure...

Thanks for any input.

That thing is laughable for what it is what it comes with and how much they want.  If you want to buy a forge look in to diamondback or majestic.  You will spend around the same price for a real forge.  Keep in mind very few production forges are turn key ready (the two i mentioned are not) and you will need to do some work to get them up and running.  If you are looking to spend less and build your own forge so you have a working knowledge of the tool you are using.  Google waynecoe artist blacksmith.   His site has tried and true forge plans that are easy to follow and he sells all the material you need at a very reasonable price.  For a burner build a 3/4" frost tburner you can find the plans pinned here on iforge they are easyish to make and extremely reliable.  Not to mention if you have problems with it just about everyone here has built one and can help you...oh and yeah the guy who you know designed the thing trolls around here too and seems realy helpfull so the tburner has that going for it as well.

Thanks for the input.. What you guys said I kind of figured.

I should look into building one. I don't want to do anything  except read and watch videos until I take the course... I don't want to pick up any bad habits.

If you want to use coal why not start with a JABOD. Easy to build, easy to maintain, and you will pick up the knowledge of fire control pretty quickly just from using it. I started mine with no knowledge of forging and now I can get forge welds, I've only got about a months worth of blacksmithing under my belt. 

Listen to the knowledgeable folks here and ask questions, they usually answer without much fuss.

Basically a 2 soft fire brick forge for WAY MORE the cost of making your own; shoot you can take a spoon and scoop out the side of 2 soft firebricks and then baling wire them together and have pretty much what they are charging US$285 for as you have to still supply your own burner for that one.