I Forge Iron

Got my anvil(s)...

I've finally found a couple pieces of scrap for my anvil(s)and now I need to figure out some stands for them. Then the only thing left is to build the forge. I've got most of what I need for that, as well as a rough plan, but that's for the other forum...

First is what appears to be the snapped off base of a rock breaker bit. It's about 14" long, maybe a little more, and about 6 or 7" across. I don't know how much it weighs, yet, but it's HEAVY.

The other one I'm not quite sure of, maybe a piece of chute liner or something. About 12" long by 4" square, with some interesting shapes on the ends. Rounded on one side of the length and squared off on the other. 

For a stand I'm thinking a stack of lumber set on end like quite a few I've seen on here, possibly one big enough to set both in? With the big piece in the center and the smaller one in one of the corners, and maybe rigged so I can change it's position around if I need to... it's got a pretty sharp corner on one end that could be used as a cut off.
For the big piece, would it be a good idea to leave the cavity a bit deeper than I want the top of the anvil to be, and fill it with sand? That way I would be able to adjust the height, if needed, and it might provide a little dampening. 

I'll get some better pictures in the morning...
I was getting worried I'd have to settle for an ASO from Harbor Freight for a while there, so this is a welcome find...

38934080054_c6cdac21ee_o.jpg

24774093997_e280657d41_o.jpg

39612509272_2dff4ed289_o.jpg

24774165777_629daf9202_o.jpg

39642642691_91b032dd85_o.jpg

38934166424_ccfc61e564_o.jpg

6 hours ago, ShortMagPirate said:

First is what appears to be the snapped off base of a rock breaker bit. It's about 14" long, maybe a little more, and about 6 or 7" across. I don't know how much it weighs, yet, but it's HEAVY.

Nice chunks of steel.

I made the anvil I use the most with this material from a rock breaker and the rebound is amazing. Take a look in one of my videos on Youtube on how I made my first anvil. Looking forward to see the two chunks integrated in a stand. I would use the rock breaker bit standing (but the side rounded surface is also useful to curve stuff) and the square chunk laying down so you have a long surface to straighten stuff. 

16 hours ago, caotropheus said:

I made the anvil I use the most with this material from a rock breaker and the rebound is amazing. 

I actually just looked at your rock breaker video yesterday... that's a huge chunk of steel you started with. Mine is only the back section... it's still big, but not nearly the mass of the whole breaker you started with. That's fine by me, though, as I don't foresee needing anything larger anytime soon. 

16 hours ago, Lionel h said:

Mounted in a good stand these will work nicely,  I would do as Catropheus stated on mounting . Have fun !

I've added a couple more pics of the pieces, as well as a rough idea for a stand. (Not necessarily to scale...)

I think it will work. It looks a little wide as drawn, but it will probably end up with a smaller footprint.
I have a piece of railroad tie that might work as a base to go under the rock breaker itself, then stack the rest of the lumber around it, or might it be better to use 2x4s to distribute the weight evenly for strength?

25782244868_7d5a84aeea_o.jpg

27875819789_bfb2643b09_o.jpg

anvil.jpg

Maybe make both pieces more or less evenly located on the stand?
One reason for the extra room could be for a tool shelf, since I'll be working out in the yard for a while, and won't have a bench or rack readily available. From the reading and video watching I've done, I do gather that the smaller the footprint the stand has, the better it is to work around, so I will probably slim it up a bit. 

What do you think of the idea of putting sand in the bottom of the hole for the bit to sit on?

anvil.2.jpg

42 minutes ago, ShortMagPirate said:

What do you think of the idea of putting sand in the bottom of the hole for the bit to sit on?

I do not have experience using sand in my blacksmith constructions but you have to remove the ring of the bit somehow and I think sand will help you on that. 

About the bench and to start with, you need a work bench. Go to the scrapyard and try to find the thickest piece of plate you can get. Never mind if it is slightly pit by corrosion or has some cuts from the plasma cutter or even if edges are uneven but the surface has to be straight and flat. Weld some legs and you have a bench...

All thread was definitely in my plan originally, but maybe I'll rethink my configuration a little to make more of a clamp around the bit. I imagine some wooden wedges would work as additional security as well.

The temptation here, as well as my nature, is to make things more complicated than they really need to be... it's a curse/blessing all wrapped into one...

It's what ever I had in the shorts rack glued and screwed together. I'm going to put a couple of bands on it one of these days.  There is a piece of cabinet grade plywood on the bottom attached to the 2x4,6 &8's. I use Titebond for glue always.  If your close to where new homes are being built raid their scrap pile...after you ask!  The builders have to pay to have it hauled off. 

Well, I know how I'm going to do the big one now, so thanks for the advice... I also just picked up another chunk of steel, this one is a straight piece of 4x4" stock about 12" long... I'm just going to sink it into one of the big Pine rounds I have out in the yard and call it good. That will get me going while I'm gathering material for the big one.

20180115_220959.jpg

20 minutes ago, caotropheus said:

It seems that you have the raw materials, so, when are we going to see a picture or video of your improvised anvils?

Great question... going to try and get some sort of a forge put together by the weekend, and hopefully start putting these anvils to work.