I Forge Iron

UAT Anvils most common in Belgium, The Nederland’s and SW Germany

Hi Gents, during research by myself and reading some treats from my fellow addicts from oversea looking for Anvil ID, I found a nice  document on the Belgium CL regarding UAT 'Usines et Acieries Allard a Turnhout' they made anvils from 1926 till ????????????????

The factory still exist in Turnhout a Flemish town next to the Dutch border and produce cast iron items till 40 tons. Have a 250lbs myself and very satisfied with straightness, rebound and shape, and hi sounds like a church bell.

UAT Anvils.JPG

My Argentinean coworker is of German descent; lots of northern European migration to South America at one time.   I used to have a book written by a German travelling to the California gold fields in the 1850's who was also asked by a German regional government to report on immigration prospects as he traveled across South America. (I gave it to a ACW re-enactor friend so he could have a book to read around the campfire...)

I can see the History channel episode now, "Belgian anvil found in Argentina? Could this be proof Hitler and other high ranking Nazi officers fled Germany before the war for a compound in Argentina?" :lol: :P

I found no other UAT posts with that "pig feet" style, but i swear i saw one posted somewhere (here or elsewhere). Likely i cant find because they didnt know it was a UAT. 

• 2 years later...

Hello Jaap, welcome to IFI, please let us know where in the world you come from and complete your user profile. There is also a 'Read this first' post that will familiarize you with the possibilities of IFI and the rules of conduct that apply within this forum.
As for the age of your anvil, assume it was produced sometime between 1926 and 1978. I myself will contact by LinkedIn at the factory in Turnhout if there are any notes with regard to the serial numbers of the anvils and the corresponding years of construction. However, less relevant to me because I don't care whether my anvil was cast in 1926 or 1978 and fitted with a hardened faceplate. I am now a proud owner of three UATs, one of 150 kg, one of 125 kg and one of 70 kg. The 70kg anvil regularly goes to my events and demos now together with the 60kg Columbian. Be blessed with the butt block present on the anvil, this is in many cases not self-evident and you will have a lot of fun while upsetting workpieces and compacting the material.
The joint and face plate look good, as does the brake drum next to it and which will probably serve as a field forge in the future. Only the carpenter's hammer does not fit completely in the picture, which is a tool for wimps but not suitable for forging. Have the suspicion that you are somewhere in Belgium or the Netherlands, so if you have any questions, you are always welcome to PM and come by.

Hello Hans, thanks for your reply, not the cleanest picture i could have taken. i was doing some other work in the barn thats why the drum brake is in frame (still working on my new workshop). not a blacksmithing hammer indeed but this was the first hammer i got my hands on to test if it is true what they say about it sounding like a church bell, it did not dissapoint. i bought it in Nijverdal the Netherlands, im an mechanical engineering student looking into some hobby blacksmithing.

• 10 months later...