I Forge Iron

I have been commissioned by a friend to make two twin axes. I have no experience making axes so I figured I would ask the experts. 

He wanted them to be made completely of high carbon steel and to have a thick handle (as he has large hands). He drew something like this (the image from paint)

I have started one of the axes, I am using railroad connectors as my metal. My problem is not knowing the best way to punch through this metal and then drift it. I was thinking about drilling a hole through it but I am not sure if that is the best way to go about it. 

DSC_1242.JPG

DSC_1237.JPG

DSC_1238.JPG

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Given any thought to bluing them?

I have not, I haven't attempted to color things yet aside from quenching in linseed oil. This is what the guy asked for and he is happy with them.

I have no experience pricing things where should I go to figure that out. (for future items, I already have a set price on these)

Cold bluing is not difficult - you wipe the solution on wait a minute and rinse off - repeat until it's as blue as you intend it to be.  You can also brown it by heating it in the oven and putting Plum Brown solution on it.  

I have to hand it to you Brian, for never making an axe you made two first axes that look pretty good.  I've not attempted one yet.  I'm waiting to nail down forge welding so I can fold it like a lot of the old ones were done.  If your customer is happy, that's really what matters with them.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:38 PM, Brian Evans said:

I have no experience pricing things where should I go to figure that out. (for future items, I already have a set price on these)

Figure out how much you have in materials. Then in your heating source. Then wear and tear on your equipment. Then, wear and tear on your body. Then, your other overhead costs. Health insurance, rent, educational time spent learning how yo do things. Liability insurance. How much is your time worth hourly. Also dont rule out any drive time. Wear and tear on your vehicle. Insurance. Fuel. There's more for sure. Think of all the small costs that go into making things and incorporate that into your price also. Also price depends on location. Pretty pricey towards the end. Don't be scared to charge. People will pay it. Best advice I got 12 years ago was "charge them until you like them". Believe it or not, it works. People appreciate hand made things. Also, some peoples thoughts are, if it costs more, it must be a great product!