I Forge Iron

Pair of paring knives

Foundryman

These two knives were commissioned to go alongside one I made in the summer that I gifted to my brother (link below). I had quite a bit of trouble with these blades keeping the grind lines even, something that caused me no problem at all on with the original knife.  Whether that was because it was only beveled on one side or because it's just a longer blade and easier to handle at the grinder I'm not sure.

The blades are ground from 2mm thick O1, the handles are Ash with Bog Oak to match the Nakiri. The larger blade is 5" and the smaller blade is 3 1/2" in length. The oak chopping board will be going to my brother with the blades as a house warming gift.

WP_20171125_15_44_06_Pro__highres.thumb.jpg.1749d688d7ec448b471cea47ca031718.jpg

WP_20171125_15_45_25_Pro__highres.thumb.jpg.55e14357b525707aee240b6820481c7e.jpg

Simon.

Despite the trouble you mentioned, i think the grinds look good on them.

I would have completely cleaned the flats between the plunge and spine, considering that they will be in contact with food. But this is a matter of preference i suppose. 

I really like the handle on the larger one, with the coarse grain. Fit and finish looks really nice on both. 

Overall, i think they came out great! Nice work. They will serve him well for a long time to come. 

Thank you for the kind comments, I appreciate them.  I understand your concerns regarding the "rough" area at the top of the blade but the roughness is purely cosmetic, that area has been wire brushed with an angle grinder and then lightly sanded with high grit sand paper, it's no more rough than the texture on my damascus blades post-etch.

Simon.

1 hour ago, lyuv said:

Lucky guy, your brother. Beautiful knives.

How did you get that finish on the blade's sides? I realy like it (at least as it apears in the photos).

Thank you.

The finish is basically the oxides created during the heat treat process. Before heat treat the blades were finished to 120grit, they were normalised three times then heated to critical temperature (750-800c or so, my setup isn't very precise) and held there for 20 minutes before being quenched into pre-heated rape seed oil.  After tempering I then cleaned up the entire blade with a wire wheel in an angle grinder, removing all the loose oxides and smoothing any rough edges. After taking the bevels to 400grit on the belt grinder I hand sanded them to 600grit and very lightly buffed the top half of the blades with 600grit and then I rubbed the whole blade with autosol, a brand of metal polish available in the UK.

Simon.