I Forge Iron

Double heat treatment

Glenn (GSTongs) talks about the benefit of heat treating his 1045 hammers heads twice in water to achieve the desired hardness. I’ve done this several times now as well and it does seem to yield harder faces/peens. I’d be interested to hear what others here have to say about this approach. Thanks in advance. 

Glen has some unorthodox approaches to heat treating that work for him because he has been experimenting with it for years.  I envy his efficiency and precision but I don’t think I’d ever try his quick dunk in water heat treating style.  He does it because he is on the balcony of an apartment in a city.  I don’t think he wants to play around with flaming oil.  The video of the double quenched hammer was quite convincing and I’m certain I would ruin a number of tools trying it before I got the timing right.  I don’t think it would work at all on thinner tools or a knife.  Post a link to it for the curmudgeons...they would be interested to see his results I think.  Then again, some of them have probably already used the same technique...

A rather classical method in shops that specialized in hammers was two jets of water one for each face. This prevented the eye from getting as hard. Smaller shops often placed one face in a shallow pan and drilled water from the dipper used for fire management Largish size chunks of acre and shafting (6040) generally handle water quench well and need just the slightest temper to even out the edge hardness.

• 2 months later...