I Forge Iron

venting forges

I am forging in a 10 by 14 foot metal shed. I am using an old outdoor city park grill for my forge. I need to vent this out doors. There are open doors and holes everywhere, and I live in Michigan, so it's cold. can I just put an 8 inch pipe over the top and vent this out the ceiling? Do I need an exhaust fan too, do I need a ventilation system for a small propane forge?

For a coal forge, you can't beat the super sucker with a 10 inch stack for venting it. Just putting a flue above it will not work even with a hood.

BTW: if you edit your profile to show your location you may be surprised how many of the gang live close to you and we won't remember you are in Michigan after leaving this thread.

Putting a flue above it with a hood will work if done right. As in proper height from the fire and limiting the amount of shop air entering.  

some of the other threads also discuss height of the pipe above the roofline and such for getting proper draw.