I Forge Iron

Treatments prior to new firepot installation

Richie Dagger

I just acquired a new cast iron firepot, and I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do to it before its first use to maximize its lifespan. It's my understanding that a lining of fireclay is not needed for heavy cast, and can actually induce corrosion by trapping moisture. I'm wondering if anyone has tried coating one in waterglass or porcelain glaze? If nothing else, I may season it in the oven with some flaxseed oil, like you would cast iron cookware. Thoughts or suggestions?

How do you remove old seasoning?  A common method is to burn it off at temps way below forging temps!

They are not designed to have anything done to them but use them! I've be using the same firepot since 1985, still going strong. How long does yours need to last?

If you want to maximize it's lifespan keep it dry and don't crack it.

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

How do you remove old seasoning?  A common method is to burn it off at temps way below forging temps!

Yeah, I figured you'd have some loss nearer the heart, but wasn't sure of the extent.

They are not designed to have anything done to them but use them! I've be using the same firepot since 1985, still going strong. How long does yours need to last?

I'd like it to last a couple of generations, at least. 35+ years isn't bad though, I suppose, if you factor continual usage.

If you want to maximize it's lifespan keep it dry and don't crack it.

Yeah, moisture would be my primary concern. In my locale, it's not unusual to have 90% humidity or higher at least half of the year. After a little more thought, a coat of waterglass or porcelain would likely bond with clinkers and get chipped during their removal.

Guess I'll not worry about it then. Thanks.