I Forge Iron

Watch your step...

Yesterday while taking pictures at the back of our truck for it followed me home. I wasn't paying attention to where my feet were. I basically fell off of the edge of our pad and took a fall, like stepping in a hole. I found out I don't bounce like I used to. Luck was with me because I didn't break anything and the camera survived but I feel like I've gone a couple of rounds with Joe Lewis.

So whatever you are doing WATCH YOUR STEP>>>>

6'2" befor I put in my boots (riding heals) so not much shorter. What kills me is the brim. You get complacent and forget to look up and wam! Dent in your hat and a knot on your head! I will tell you I used to where a bump cap as an auto tech. I would rather run into the rack than a tire any day! 

My farrier rig is on a 12"x7'3" flat bed, I have yet to fall off. But I imagine the day is coming...

5 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

I wish you to heal quickly, and I empathize.

For myself, it would be wise to wear an inflatable bouncy suit and a helmet, but only after I get out of bed. 

Robert Taylor

My wife has been threatening to wrap me in bubble wrap for years.:D

She just wants to pop the bubbles....

When I was younger it was always Bigger and BIGGER anvils; nowadays I try to get someone younger to move anything over the 134# HB...

So after my most recent class---where loading and unloading services are part of the deal---I still took the proverbial long hot shower, Ibuprofen and a bottle of brown pop before crawling into the flannel sheets under the down comforter and a quilt and slept long and hard and woke up feeling much better than I expected---did some stretching exercises while still under the covers and was able to function almost like normal.

Here we are 5 days later and I'm almost back to normal.

Yesterday and today, I got in some hammer time (without taking ibuprofen). Unfortunately it wasn't on the anvil but with a framing hammer and working on the shop. I managed to get the chicken house frayed/ragged curtains taken down and two windows installed and trimmed up, what a difference now to paint it. I'll post an after picture tomorrow.

100_1778.thumb.JPG.08086c3834fd0a9aa89fb7a9f6f03ba4.JPG

The weather was great so we finished the trim work on 2 other windows, then my wife painted the new trim and the door to the smithy. Unfortunately the temperature is forecast to go in the dumper so the grey paint will probably have to wait till spring.:( At least now our coal forge and air compressor will stay dry when it rains or snows.:)

We also selected a good stump for the Hay-Budden anvil (seen at the left of the pad) and it will go inside the shop, with the 90lb farrier's anvil moved outside to keep the improvised anvil & post vise company.

100_1890.thumb.JPG.eac3b7b6e30d1c63a0b60452330e2737.JPG