I Forge Iron

Beginning Blacksmithing

Ali Ahmed Khan

Hello, I’m planning on starting blacksmithing in the summer, I’d start sooner but I have to buy all the stuff with money I get for my birthday and I have to write my IGCSE exams. I’ve got a local dealer for ceramic blanket for my gas forge. I’ll try buying the pipes I need from amazon, or a local store. I just need a good body for a forge. The reason I’m using a gas forge is because propane is really cheap in uae, you buy a 21 gallons bottle for less than 20 dollars. Also I’d love to know any substitutes for an anvil(can’t find any in the UAE where I live). I’ll submit some sketches for my burner ideas and forge body ideas soon.

Ali, take a gander at the anvil section, up top in the pinned section you will find a thread with pictures of improvised anvils. 

I imagine a sledge hammer head would be available most anywhere. If you could do me a huge favor and look into historical forge desighn and fuel choice it would benifit us all to add to our international knowledge. 

Welcome to Glenn's international block party (we have outgrown his front porch and have spilled out into the street). 

Welcome board Ali, glad to  have  you. If you'll put your general location in the header we'll stop pestering  you about it, UAE is a LITTLE too general, Maybe city or country at least. You might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Have you read any of the propane forge ad burner threads on Iforge? Some of the really talkative characters have been helping folks make the things for a while now. Burners 101 and Forges 101 are the most current and things have been changing where refractories and burner designs are concerned. They're a couple good threads to start on, if nothing else it'll let you k now what we call parts components, processes, etc. so you can ask good questions and understand the answers.

Frosty The Lucky.